RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

^That was a fine and truly scary cold war movie. Limited nuclear exchange, president believed dead in helicopter crash in the blast, warmonger vice president takes over and scrambles a B52, which passes the point of no return. Must watch again.

"By Dawn's Early Light", 1990. Stellar cast (including James Earl Jones, Martin Landau, Rip Torn) and of course Powers Boothe, RIP.

Was listening to the radio on the way back from an errand, there are some rumors around Chris' death ("band around neck" was a term I heard).  But yes, way to fucking young, and a great talent lost.

And in other news, R (not RIP) to Roger Ailes.  A man who did big things, but to me his legacy is completely tarnished by the behavior and scandals he allowed and possibly participated in.....  I don't often say good riddance for someone who died, but for him I'm damn close.  Sorry if this offends (no I'm not....but it's just my personal opinion)

• Like 1

Damn, dude.  I grew up listening to Chris Cornell.  What I said on redderp/FB:

I ...haven't really been in to his music since the 90s, but during my high school and college years. I loved Soundgarden, though I never really go in to his solo work or Audioslave. My favorite project of his was the tribute to Mother Love Bone's Andrew Wood with what were future Pearl Jam members: Temple of the Dog. It was fairly obscure upon release, but became a sleeper hit a few years later.

I remember vividly hearing a song off the TotD album on college radio in the spring of '91. I was in high school and had been growing bored of metal. The song wasn't Hunger Strike or the one Calls Me a Dog. I'm pretty sure it was All Night Thing.

I knew of Sound Garden of course as a few friends of mine caned Louder than Love for most of the previous year. I was also aware of of Mother Love Bone. There was a user on a dialup BBS (what we did before the internet) I frequented named Stardog Champion who would talk about them sometimes. All of this said, I didn't make the connection between Temple of the Dog and the other bands. Chris Cornell has a pretty distinctive voice and I figured out it was him, but the rest took me a while to piece together. This was before the Information Age was really a thing, an living in rural western MasNoNoNoNoNoNosetts, I had no idea that Andrew Wood had died. I did eventually manage to procure a copy of the TotD album later that summer, not long before Pearl Jam's Ten came out. That album of course blew up and Pearl Jam became a household name shortly thereafter.

I saw Pearl Jam perform in the 200 capacity UMASS Student Union Ballroom. A show that was booked before they became hugely popular and happened afterward. I was amazing to see them live (still the only time I have) but the actual event was such a goatfuck because there were 2-3 TIMES as many people milling outside the venue as it could hold. I'm pretty sure PJ performed one of the songs off the TotD album at that show.

It wasn't until later into 1992 that I had figured out the connections between Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and Mother Love Bone. The riff used in "Times of Trouble" is the same one in Pearl Jam's "Footsteps" (a B-side on the import version of the CD single for "Jeremy.") I heard Times of Trouble first and always liked it better.
Looking back two and a half decades, this album holds up amazingly well. I prefer it to "Ten" and (Soundgarden's 1991) "Badmotorfinger." "Call Me a Dog" is one of my favorite tracks on it, second only to All Night Thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skullguise said:

Was listening to the radio on the way back from an errand, there are some rumors around Chris' death ("band around neck" was a term I heard).  But yes, way to fucking young, and a great talent lost.

Yeah, suicide has been confirmed.  So tragic.  One of the greatest voices in rock&roll, extinguished by himself.

His family is disputing the report awaiting toxicology tests. He apparently was prescribed an anti-anxiety drug and commented to his wife that he had taken more than his normal dosage and apparently slurred his words the last time he talked to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aura said:

Goddamnit. RIP Chris. 

Keep on keepin' on, please Eddie. For Kurt, Layne, and Chris. For grunge's sake. 

Don't forget Scott Weiland. Jesus Christ only one front man of the original 5 main Grunge bands is still breathing. Holy shit!

RIP, Chris.  I recall listening to a lot of his music when I used to cycle and while driving around in my car (simpler life for me back then single and all...).  

Such a distinctive and amazing voice.  And his eyes on the vids cycled on MTV were on the haunting side.

Hope you find what you were looking for on the other side...

HS

37 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

Fucking hell.  Chris too a number of Adivans before he killed himself.  Benzos are a curse on humanity.   I have a friend who is an RN who maintains adamantly that the only legitimate use for them is helping alcoholics who are detoxing deal with the DTs.

They help me a lot when my back is really in bad shape.  Gets me on my feet; otherwise I'd be stuck prone for hours.  I think that people, like my mother, who take Xanax for acute anxiety would also disagree.  No chemical is inherently good or bad.  It's just a chemical.