RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

It's so odd... now finding out that Bill died last night at about 10:30pm, maybe an hour or so after I last saw him. The bands quit playing at 10pm, per the agreement with the Abbott at the school. He drove home, less than 10 minutes from the school, with his wife. He walked into his house and dropped to the floor and was dead in less than 30 seconds. I wasn't close with him, though we did have a nice connection and mutual respect. Just someone I knew and always enjoyed chatting with. I'm simply dumbfounded by it and the randomness of life sometimes.

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Guss2 said:

Wow, Xenia and I are so sorry Wayne. All the best buddy.

Thanks, Gary. Haven't seen you two forever! Hope you're keeping well.

I wasn't especially close with Bill, but did have a lot of respect for him. It's just so odd that it happened right after his class reunion when he was out having a good time catching up with people and laughing about old times. I'm dumbfounded though. He was just standing around chatting with people, stone sober, not exerting himself in any way... 

I've already got an appointment with my cardiologist for Monday of next week when I get back to Cayman. Probably time for another prostate exam as well. 

• Like 1

Yeah, having been there with a co-worker whom I didn't know very well, but respected for her knowledge and smarts, it hits closer to home when you realize you were one of the last people to see her alive, and there didn't seem to be a clue that something like this was going to happen.  You mentally rewind and replay, rewind and replay, but if you didn't pick up on it at the time, you're not going to pick up on it on the revisit of the memory.  

Yeah, I should get back to walking, now that I'm mostly better.  I haven't walked since a week ago Monday.

4 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Yeah, having been there with a co-worker whom I didn't know very well, but respected for her knowledge and smarts, it hits closer to home when you realize you were one of the last people to see her alive, and there didn't seem to be a clue that something like this was going to happen.  You mentally rewind and replay, rewind and replay, but if you didn't pick up on it at the time, you're not going to pick up on it on the revisit of the memory.  

Yeah, I should get back to walking, now that I'm mostly better.  I haven't walked since a week ago Monday.

Thanks, Dusty. I hadn't really thought of it that way, at least in terms of rewinding and wondering why I didn't pick up on any signs. But like in your experience with your co-worker, there really weren't any signs. His wife was with him all night and she didn't pick up on anything.

You're also right in that the proximity in time somehow makes it hit closer to home, and oddly eerie (for lack of a better word) in some way. It doesn't seem fair, but I guess that has never been a guarantee. 

• Like 1