RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

RIP Niki!

He was my favorite driver during my early days of following F1 in print. 

They used to call him Super Rat because of his teeth but after his tractor accident and surviving the fire, his determination and drive became legendary and you seldom heard that nickname again.

I'll miss seeing him in the paddock.

He started out as a pop singer as part of the Walker Brothers, but did some really interesting post-rock/experimental/avant-garde in the last couple decades.  You may remember the “I punched a donkey...” song that was haunting several of us a while back.  It’s quite dissonant and not for everyone, but for those of us that crave that sort of thing, it’s something special.

Anyway, that’s what I will remember him for, those three albums, Climate of Hunter, Tilt, The Drift.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:52 PM, skullguise said:

Tilt was wild.....his voice was pretty amazing as well.  Wasn't he supposed to be kind of a "crooner" type early on?  I think he was being groomed to be one of those easy-listening/ballad type singers.

I'd say he "somewhat" veered from that path.

Okay, I stand somewhat corrected.  He did go solo after The Walker Brothers in the same style:

Before he...uh...veered off path.

• Like 1

RIP Bart Starr, 85, quarterback for the Green Bay Packers in their Super Bowl years in the early to mid 60s. 

RIP, Bill Buckner, 69, a great baseball player for the Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox, infamous for the routine ground ball the went between his legs while playing first base for the Red Sox in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. He lived it down with a great deal self effacing humor. Fuck dementia.

Edited by Wmcmanus