RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Rest in peace, Mr. Willner...thank you for all the entertainment.

Stirling Moss....oh my!  Truly one of the greats.  Fearless and those were different times when apparently safety was overrated.  Godspeed, Stirling....hope you are going around a track of your liking in the sky...

HS

I remember when Richard Hammond crashed his rocket car and suffered brain injury, Stirling Moss mentored him. Moss had had a horrific crash during his racing career and knew first hand what Hammond was going through.

Moss kept his buckled steering wheel on the wall. He buckled that steering wheel with his head.

RIP Stirling Moss - one of the racing greats.

• Sad 2

^^^ Same here!  I had some exchanges with Art when he was at Listener, I was travelling to Israel at the time and it was a dangerous time with Iraq.  He was such a great guy, and I loved his approach to writing and reviewing.  His first concern was of the safety of this total stranger....

RIP Art, and fuck cancer!

• Like 2

RIP Lee and Brian.....

RIP to Mr. & Mrs. Cohen, a couple in the Boston area.  Saw a news story about them.  Married 77+ years, separated only during WW2.  Both in a nursing home, vowed to stay with each other to the end.  She contacted COVID-19, he did not but still had pneumonia from another issue.  With a nurse in PPE and holding each of their hands at times, they stayed together.  She died I guess 12 hours after him on the same day.  He was 102, she 97.

I'm tearing up just typing this.....sad, yet so beautiful.....

• Like 8

COVID-19 has claimed two great bassists in one day.

RIP Matthew Seligman of Soft Boys and many others including David Bowie, Thompson Twins, Morrissey, Chrissie Hynde, Sinead O’Connor, Tori Amos, and Thomas Dolby. 

RIP Henry Grimes, another jazz player taken from us. Grimes played and recorded with everyone in the ’50s and ’60s, including Don Cherry, Sonny Rollins, Cecil Taylor, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Gerry Mulligan, Albert Ayler, Don Cherry, Benny Goodman, Coleman Hawkins, Roy Haynes, Lee Konitz, Steve Lacy, Charles Mingus, Sunny Murray, Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp, and McCoy Tyner. After being broke and out of the scene for a couple decades, he had a renaissance in the aughts and played with John Zorn, Marc Ribot, and Nels Cline.

🙁

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Peter Beard, a New York photographer, artist and naturalist to whom the word “wild” was roundly applied, both for his death-defying photographs of African wildlife and for his own much-publicized days — decades, really — as an amorous, bibulous, pharmaceutically inclined man about town, was found dead in the woods on Sunday, almost three weeks after he disappeared from his home in Montauk on the East End of Long Island. He was 82.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/19/arts/peter-beard-dead.html?referringSource=articleShare 

His well-documented personal life—Beard’s image should probably reside in the dictionary next to the word “dashing” (and perhaps also near “shambolic”)—likely spelled the end of a number of marriages, including some of his own. (Beard was married to Mary "Minnie" Cushing and, later, the model Cheryl Tiegs before marrying Nejma Khanum, the daughter of an African diplomat, in 1986; she and Beard have a daughter, Zara.) He and Truman Capote traipsed across America with the Rolling Stones on their Exile On Main Streettour in 1972; he was close with Jacqueline Onassis and generations of Kennedys (and had a long relationship with Onassis’s sister Lee Radziwill) and was a fixture at Studio 54. In addition to solo shows at the International Center of Photography in New York and the Centre National de la Photographie in Paris, among others, he often bartered his work to pay bar tabs around Montauk and to settle bets with friends.

https://www.vogue.com/article/peter-beard-tribute-remembering-the-wildlife-and-fashion-photographer/amp

3E464042-762C-4B92-AD2C-A1EA8350919F.jpeg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2