RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

1 hour ago, tkam said:

I think he was terrible enough to celebrate his death:  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rush-limbaugh-mock-aids-gays/

Yep. I remember that. I can find no redeeming value in this man's life. I don't like to hate, but there are a few that I can't find my way around it. Rush made that list. But like Nate, I'll settle for not celebrating his life.

They looked like they were going out of business for at least the last 2 years...

Strange store, but kinda fun to go to. Shit for electronics components though. Lots of NTE. I did buy soldering equipment from them though. Hakko stuff in particular. And some test leads.

There were so many computer superstores I can no longer remember names, but think of when driving by their old locations. Still a couple Computer Centrals, though one near me burnt down a couple years back and the rest are pretty dead. Micro Center shrunk and vacated the area. It still seems strange Silicon Valley can't support a large store for quick pickups, when there was once so many. Guess it's all Amazon and fast delivery now, same as everywhere else. Will be strange not to be able to pick up things on a lunch run. 

A ton of problems with Fry's over the years. I often wondered how Apple's big comeback affected them as they never really played in that space. And as Apple Stores popped up. Sold some Macs like Best Buy, but Fry's wasn't a general electronic store, though in the end tried to be. 

This is worth a read - https://mondaynote.com/the-frys-era-8709a7e602eb 

1*A-SVLK548bnntFWbRc3-AQ.jpeg

brbnk_pic1.jpg

phoenix_pic1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I used to go to the one in Campbell all the time and the Sunnyvale one in a pinch.

I knew a lot of folks in the Campbell area (used to live at the Upstart Crow coffeehouse there) and I'd run into some of them there sometimes.

In fact, it was the last time I saw Lloyd (old member here) was there.

I kinda dug the weird decor and the bargains on snacks and stuff that lined the checkout area.

I really miss having a local electronics store (even Radio Shack was better than nothing) but there ya go.

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 2

We had the same demise of Maplin - a similar sort of thing in the UK to Fry's. Back 25 years or so back, they stocked audio parts like Elna Cerafine capacitors, and power drivers from Eminence. I know because I bought both from there because it was to go to place for Cerafine, and I built a 15" bass cabinet for my son using an Eminence driver, both bought over the counter.

Then they made the mistake of dumbing down. So if you wanted a remote control gizmo, or a drone, or some rubbish audio tat that became the place of choice. It ended up folding in 2018 after it had changed hands four or five times.

But oddly enough it has been relaunched entirely on a mail order business, mainly selling tat https://www.maplin.co.uk/ . I have no idea who owns the brand name now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig Sawyers said:

We had the same demise of Maplin - a similar sort of thing in the UK to Fry's. Back 25 years or so back, they stocked audio parts like Elna Cerafine capacitors, and power drivers from Eminence. I know because I bought both from there because it was to go to place for Cerafine, and I built a 15" bass cabinet for my son using an Eminence driver, both bought over the counter.

Then they made the mistake of dumbing down. So if you wanted a remote control gizmo, or a drone, or some rubbish audio tat that became the place of choice. It ended up folding in 2018 after it had changed hands four or five times.

But oddly enough it has been relaunched entirely on a mail order business, mainly selling tat https://www.maplin.co.uk/ . I have no idea who owns the brand name now.

Digital-First Retail Limited owns Maplin. the company did not exist prior to 29 June 2018... and has changed the location of its registered office no less than 4 times since then... The original director of the company resigned 6 oct 2020.

The accounts only show 2 employees ... so im guessing its a shell company. The accounts is interesting section 476 means no requirement for external audit of accounts, section 477 companies act 2006 exemption from audit and exemption from publishing a full statement.... so the entire financial statement is simply one line current assets, one line creditors amount due and one line net assets. 

current director is director of 1 other company and previous director of another - all from the same address.

Edited by jamesmking
  • Like 1