RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

RIP pioneering funny man Mort Sahl.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/arts/television/mort-sahl-dead.amp.html

Also RIP the Falling Rock Tap House, which was a regular feature of RMAF weekends. I can still picture @Sherwood drinking beer there with an electric blue mohawk hairdo. Good times.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/10/25/dining/drinks/craft-beer-bars.amp.html

• Sad 4

RIP to my stepmom, Ann, 81.

She had several issues in the last years, and a few weeks ago broke many ribs on one side in a fall.  But she had been in and out of rehab and seemed to be doing well.  A downturn due to dehydration landed her back in the hospital last night.  She got fluids and was feeling better, but apparently had heart failure at night in her sleep.

Feel horrible for my dad - despite some deep-at-times divorce baggage, I know she was great for him and they had ~47+ great years together.  And my sister (adopted by my dad from Ann's first marriage) was SO incredibly close with her mom, as were her twin children.  She and I are pretty close, having grown up together (I saw her weekends at my dad's) in our formative years.

Spent the day at my dad's with a fair bit of the family.  I was mixed in my original feelings (Ann kind of ignored my wife and my oldest brother's family to some extent), but seeing all the things that SHE helped make a home, made me realize I will miss her more than I thought.  I always had a theory with my family: enjoy the good, ignore the bad.  And there was a lot of good.

• Sad 19

My condolences Todd. RIP Ann.

EDIT: We were supposed to go to Iowa this week for Lori's small private funeral, but on Wednesday, before we were going to leave, Beth got a call from the school nurse where she works and was told that she had been exposed to COVID on Monday and Tuesday. After calling Lori's husband, he preferred that we didn't come, as he is susceptible (Polio), and Lori's mother ('90s) would be there, so we didn't. No symptoms here, and the positive COVID test was one of the the OTC ones. We haven't heard what the results of the lab test were yet.

Edited by Pars
  • Sad 5

I really liked Pat's playing but I didn't even know about his past health issues:

"Pat Martino, whose trailblazing career as a jazz guitarist seemed to end prematurely in 1980 when brain surgery left him with no memory, but who then painstakingly relearned the instrument, and his own past, and went on to three more decades of innovative musicianship, died on Monday at his home in South Philadelphia. He was 77."

That's even more amazing. RIP Pat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well...to go off on a tangent -- tapping is tapping, so they're all inter-related.  Tapping on guitar is much harder than it is on the Stick, the Stick is actually designed for tapping.  In fact, even my NS/Stick -- which is technically designed to be played either with tapping or with picking -- it's easier to just tap all the time, when I want to practice picking or strumming, I don't go for the NS/Stick.  So that may be why the two might seem decoupled, because one doesn't really inform the other.

• Thanks 1