RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

I don't know when those people died but it is pretty much despicable that the show was allowed to go on for an hour and ten minutes even though the crush started immediately, local officials called it a mass casualty event thirty minutes into his set, and an ambulance entered the crowd at that time to remove somebody, which was visible onstage. Going forty more minutes after that seems incredible.

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, Voltron said:

I don't know when those people died but it is pretty much despicable that the show was allowed to go on for an hour and ten minutes even though the crush started immediately, local officials called it a mass casualty event thirty minutes into his set, and an ambulance entered the crowd at that time to remove somebody, which was visible onstage. Going forty more minutes after that seems incredible.

Second this and the fact that evidently similar issues happened at the same show two years ago...

• Angry 1

Julie Green: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/05/arts/julie-green-dead.html

Six tacos, six glazed doughnuts and a Cherry Coke: That was the last meal of a man executed in Oklahoma in July 1999. Rendered in cobalt blue glaze on a white china plate the next year, it was the first in Julie Green’s decades-long art project, “The Last Supper,” which documented the final meals of death row prisoners around the country.

In 2001 in Indiana, a prison granted an inmate’s request to have his mother make him chicken dumplings in the institution’s kitchen. Professor Green painted the word “Mother” on the platter that pays homage to that meal. ... In Georgia in 2009, a mentally disabled inmate asked for half a pecan pie. He didn’t understand the concept of execution, and he intended to save some of the pie to eat afterward.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sylvère Lotringer, who popularized French critical theory in the United States, helped inspire the Matrix movie series, hosted conferences for counterculture celebrities, lent his name to a character in an acclaimed novel and a television series based on it [I Love Dick], provoked rants on Fox News and founded an influential publishing house — all while trying to outrun memories of a childhood spent on the precipice of disaster [damn Nazis] — died on Nov. 8 at his home outside Ensenada, Mexico, in Baja California. He was 83.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/22/books/sylvere-lotringer-dead.html

https://www.artforum.com/news/sylvere-lotringer-1938-2021-87164 

2016-055_Sylvere_Lotringer_Purple_A_0037_3a.jpg

• Sad 4

RIP Almudena Grandes. Died from cancer at 61. She was a writer that I enjoyed very much. She wrote a series of books named "the never ending war" from the losers of the Spanish Civil War point of view (that's communist, anarchists and democrats in general). She also wrote a couple of columns weekly in the newspaper I usually read in Spanish. Clever, kind and decent human being. I'll miss her writings a lot. Godspeed, Almudena :(

Edited by Torpedo
  • Sad 7

Frank was life president of our running club - Abingdon AAC - and used to run with us back in the day. He was a real nutcase runner, and used to take his drivers for a run around a F1 circuit so they could "understand" the circuit better. He was fast!

Then, aged 44 and on his way to the Airport in the South of France, focusing on a half marathon he was going to run he next day in London, lost control of the car, broke his neck and became tetraplegic, living the last 35 years wheelchair-bound.

He was always very accepting of what happened to him, with a ready smile.

Born in South Shields, and a Geordie like me.

RIP Frank, you were a real character on all sorts of levels.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4