RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

I distrust the government in a way only a government employee can, and I grew up in a very pro gun rights environment.  I enjoy gun sports, own and shoot them for fun, and love taking friends out to shoot who come from places where that would never be an option.  Those are my bona fides, which only matter when I say that we need to just do this right and repeal the second amendment entirely.  We haven't had a new amendment since 1992, though admittedly that one took over 200 years to ratify, so I think it's high time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Aspirant Audiophile said:

Well... Not trying to be cheeky, moreso honest...but there's a whole lot of teachers in America--letting them all carry guns would be great for business and most 401k plans...

Think very fucking carefully before making your 17th post here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, n_maher said:

Think very fucking carefully before making your 17th post here.

I should have led with sincerity, without giving the impression of sarcasm.

My comment is about why gun control efforts are consistently unsuccessful. I'm a retired teacher. I taught in urban high risk schools as well as boutique private schools. Both communities live with the same fear in the background. But, the production of weapons is "good" for economics. So, guns stick around.

I apologize if my comment implied that I'm in support of such a system. I quit my last teaching position--then permanently migrated from the USA--in part because I don't want my own children to grow up with any thought about their school as a non-safe space. I also don't want to teach anyone in an environment where any of us could have a gun. I lost my 401k in the process and I miss teaching, but I don't regret leaving.

I hope this clarifies my remark.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I missed Alan White passing. 

I don't think I can count how many times I have seen him live with the various incarnations of Yes (11 to 13 times at least). 

He never was the standout drummer - but a very good drummer - a great band drummer. 

I will have a few things to pick from to listen to.

image.png.9e4ff95c845981ea9b7a5b2c2d2a26b5.png

RIP Alan.

• Sad 4

Oof.  RIP Dave Smith.  Sequential just announced his passing on their FB page.

6Xy5cGa.png

When Don Buchla was still alive, I referred to Dave as "the greatest working synth designer."  When Don passed in 2016, I referred to Dave as "the greatest living" one.  The man's work was amazing.  He was hugely important in the development of MIDI.  He founded Sequential Circuits.  20 years ago he launched Dave Smith Instruments where he released products like the Evolver and Poly Evolver. 

cgc6mSY.png

In 2015 Dave reclaimed the Sequential name and rebranded DSI accordingly.  Currently the Sequential site has a popup stating his death.  I presume they'll get a proper tribute page up as they are able to do so.   

• Sad 8

52 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

Oof.  RIP Dave Smith.  Sequential just announced his passing on their FB page.

6Xy5cGa.png

When Don Buchla was still alive, I referred to Dave as "the greatest working synth designer."  When Don passed in 2016, I referred to Dave as "the greatest living" one.  The man's work was amazing.  He was hugely important in the development of MIDI.  He founded Sequential Circuits.  20 years ago he launched Dave Smith Instruments where he released products like the Evolver and Poly Evolver. 

cgc6mSY.png

In 2015 Dave reclaimed the Sequential name and rebranded DSI accordingly.  Currently the Sequential site has a popup stating his death.  I presume they'll get a proper tribute page up as they are able to do so.   

Fuck me.  My Prophet 5 is my favourite synthesizer of all time. 

Sad Cartoon GIF

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested. Yes, the little boy with the straw cowboy hat, holding the little dog is me. Also, the three of us boys in the barber shop was when we first visited my Grandparents in Texas, and when they heard we were from Alaska the newspaper came and took our picture. I still have that clipping.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1