RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Queen under medical supervision at Balmoral.  It's looking pretty clearly like this is the end for Queen Elizabeth.  The rest of the royal family is traveling to Scotland to see her.  The UK press appears to be more or less saying she's gone without saying it.  Operation London Bridge in full effect.

• Sad 2

Yes indeed. She spent her life devoted to duty. I'm now 66, and QEII was Queen for 5 years before I was born. That is a staggering statistic. The Monarch who was the longest lasting in British history (nearly 71 years). 7 years longer than the next longest, which was her grandmother Victoria.

Now I was never an avid royalist, but even I am somewhat humbled by two days ago she took Boris Johnson's resignation and Liz Truss's taking over in person. I must admit that she did not look well.

Of course every major channel on UK TC is now saturation coverage. Because she was 96, there was a whole lot of prepared material that is just being regurgitated. Every inch of her life from childhood onwards.

It'll take a week or a fortnight for all this to die down and life to return to the drab nonsense we are all suffering under.

We were lucky to go to a Buckingham Palace garden party before Diana met her fate. So we ended up a very few feet from the whole lot of them. We had another invitation that was buggered by Covid and alas might now no longer happen.

• Like 5

One of the more revolutionary things she pioneered was the ability (pay) to tour the palaces. Buckinham, Windsor, Sandringham and Balmoral. She introduced that when there was a catastrophic fire at Windsor Castle, which cost £36.5 million to restore in the early 90's. She funded that by charging entry fees for public tours of the four great palaces. There was no government (or therefore British public) funding, 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Windsor_Castle_fire

Although charged entry was only supposed to last for five years, it has been continued for 30 years.

4 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Sorry to be so dark, but...

That didn't take long, did it?  She made Liz Truss Prime Minister just two days ago, and now she's dead?  Sus.

In all seriousness, RIP Queen Elizabeth II. 

I think you need to look at it from another (Her Majesty's) angle.

"Good, I've outlasted that [insert relevant Jonathan Pie adjectives] Boris Johnson as Prime Minister. My work here is done."

Job Done, 'Liz.

• Like 6

The saturation coverage continues. Radio, all TV channels. Some are shut down and simply say "see coverage on BBC.

BBC1 and 2 are showing exactly the same broadcasts. But bizarrely all sports fixtures have been cancelled (including football and athletics), live music has been cancelled including the Last  Night of the Proms. There has been a wholesale cancelling of scheduled TV programs. There is no escape.

The media are focusing on anyone weeping. The question is why on both counts.

We've kind of lost the plot. It can not have come as anything of a surprise that a 96 year old lady has died. It was different when Princess Di was killed in a car crash - that was a surprise and shocking, and the media were completely unprepared. But it has been on the cards for a decade that the Queen was on borrowed time, so all the documentary material was ready to just roll out. Wall to wall at the click of a button.

That might seem churlish. But you have to be here to witness the media madness and the public going OTT

Edited by Craig Sawyers

Not sure how it is seen in the UK, but I know some here see it as the end of an era.  To many, her death was the end of a generation with class and dignity.  Starting now with Prince King Charles, it is a family with many issues, scandals, etc.

It also helps take away focus from the shit-show currently going on otherwise I'd bet....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Hilary Mantel, author of the Wolf Hall trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, and his slow fall from grace with Henry VIII  to execution at the stake (in Oxford).

She was age 70, and died suddenly.

One of the very few people to have won two Booker prizes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63005841

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2