RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Gordon Lightfoot was very important to me in my formative college years. I spent the summer of 1976 at Forestry summer camp at Cloquet and Isabella MN with “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” playing on the local radio stations a bit before it hit the national airwaves. But “Don Quixote” was and is my favorite song of his as it seemed to tell a story I was very familiar with. Luckily, I was able to see him in concert twice. The first time at Ravinia (Highland Park, IL) in 1983 and the second at Chastain Park (Atlanta, GA) in 1995. This one hits real hard. I will leave with the following excerpt from Nicholas Jennings biography, Lightfoot . Like many great artists, he was a complex person.

Edited by morphsci
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of great falling in love songs, but I can't think of a better falling out of love song than If You Could Read My Mind

Edit: Just bought the Rhino four disc box set. First CDs purchased in I don’t how many years. 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 3

^ During college I was in an on and off relationship that ultimately was impossible. Lots of emotion, heartbreak, great times, etc. It was a bit too much to bear, so we decided, we needed to not see each other for a bit to get over our feelings, so that we could just be friends. 

After not seeing each other for awhile, we decided to go out for some coffee. I remember how strange and awkward it felt compared to being around her before. The excitement and connection was no longer there. It felt empty in a way.

So, just us in a small coffee shop kind of quiet, then If You Could Read My Mind, came on. At the part, "I don't know where we went wrong, but the feeling is gone, and I just can't get it back", I couldn't help but laugh out loud. She asked what was funny. I decided to just say "nothing" and take in the moment. 

Edited by robm321
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hadn't used the term for years, but one of my oldest friends was a fan, not SO much of all of Gordon's work, but of "Rainy Day People." Years later, his brother passed away WAY too young from cancer, and in my stupidity of not knowing what to say, I avoided talking with him.

It took a while, but I finally did connect; he was understandably hurt.  I profusely apologized, and said later that I wanted to be one of his Rainy Day People, he meant that much to me and my family.  He did forgive me, we both shed some tears that night, and we of course are still close to this day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

RIP Gordon.

Saw him my final year in college.  Great song writer.  Horrible concert experience.  Just sat there solo playin his guitar and singing.  Style more appropriate for a coffee house.  Living in Michigan "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" holds special meaning.

• Like 1

This is an obscure one.  Today I learned that Mario Rosa AKA Dr Mario died, before his 50th birthday.  Dr. Mario gained some fame in the Los Angeles drum n bass scene in the late 90s and early 00s, as well as on mp3.com around the same time.  I discovered him on that site, during an era when I'd make regular dives into their electronic music section.  I actually contacted Dr. M once, asking him about a track that was only released in shitty, 128k mp3 format (a phenomenon regular listeners to my show will remember be talking about often.)  He said he'd look for the originals of that track, but he never got back to me.  I have one of his IRL friends on my FB friends list because many years ago, I went look for Dr. Mario and found his friend instead.  I saw a post from said friend saying Mario had passed. 

At his best, Dr. Mario made frenetic DNB even by the standards of the genre.  He crossed over into full on IDM territory, echoing the sounds of 90s Aphex Twin and Autechre, but with a deceptively deep sense of melody.  Two of his best tracks are this one:

This one was briefly popular on mp3.com around the year 2000.

This one wasn't as well known, but I actually prefer it.  It sums up everything that I like about his music.  (Not even) 50 is entirely too young for anyone to pass, especially a talent like Mario's.

• Sad 1

Same thing happened to Dave Swarbrick, violin player and singer in Fairport Convention. He used to make a joke of it and announce his demise before a concert, handing out signed copies of his obituary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Swarbrick

He ultimately did die aged 75. As a lifelong chain smoker, he had shot lungs, and after three tracheostomies used to perform with an oxygen cylinder and mask next to him that he had to puff on during a gig. He was a seriously determined performer.

He needed a lung transplant to save his life, but our health service wanted nothing to do with him and a private operation was the only way. So the folk singing community held a series of concerts called SwarbAid to raise money for the treatment. That bought him 10 years, during which I saw him in a tiny folk venue with Martin Carthy a a year before Swarb actually did die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Carthy

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

I thought - Oh fuck. Then checked, and she's still alive and kicking. Phew!

I saw the post with the video of her, and made the assumption before watching said video. We all know what happens when one chooses to ass-u-me.

Edited by swt61

• 2 weeks later...

My Father moved to Vegas in 1980, and I joined him there after being accepted to UNLV. I spent my Junior and Senior years there in '81 and '82.

I've told stories about waiting on Sinatra at the restaurant I worked at. Biggest asshole I've ever met. And I've been acquainted with a lot of assholes.

Anyway, my Father was making a living playing poker. Mostly playing with retired old men at Circus Circus. But there were a few times that he played with the big boys. He played with Doyle a dozen times or so.

I'll never forget one particular time when he shut my Dad down and took him for all he had put aside for that night (my Dad never played for more than he could afford to lose). I had the car that evening and took my little Sister to go pick him up. This particular night was at the Flamingo, and Brunson decided to treat my little Sister, myself and my Dad to banana splits at Lindy's (an ice cream parlor in the hotel). He had one too, and was just a really nice guy. My Sister was 12, and he treated her like a little Queen.

R.I.P. Mr. Brunson. You were a class act Sir!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

My Father moved to Vegas in 1980, and I joined him there after being accepted to UNLV. I spent my Junior and Senior years there in '81 and '82.

I've told stories about waiting on Sinatra at the restaurant I worked at. Biggest asshole I've ever met. And I've been acquainted with a lot of assholes.

Anyway, my Father was making a living playing poker. Mostly playing with retired old men at Circus Circus. But there were a few times that he played with the big boys. He played with Doyle a dozen times or so.

I'll never forget one particular time when he shut my Dad down and took him for all he had put aside for that night (my Dad never played for more than he could afford to lose). I had the car that evening and took my little Sister to go pick him up. This particular night was at the Flamingo, and Brunson decided to treat my little Sister, myself and my Dad to banana splits at Lindy's (an ice cream parlor in the hotel). He had one too, and was just a really nice guy. My Sister was 12, and he treated her like a little Queen.

R.I.P. Mr. Brunson. You were a class act Sir!

Great story! Also, '81 is when I was born.

RIP Jim Brown. Not only the best running back of all time, but the best ever NFL player IMHO.

5.2 yards per carry (104.3 yards per game) for his entire career without ever missing a game. 

His post NFL life is even more impressive. One of my favorite human beings. He will be missed. 

Edited by robm321
  • Like 2