RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

• 3 weeks later...

A girl named India whom I did not know very well OD'd on heroin earlier this week. I'd met her in the club scene sometime in 2010. She was nice enough but suffered from the telltale sings of a low self esteem.  I saw her follow around one deadbeat guy after another.  I lost contact her due to a variety of factors.  I've been working a lot fewer lighting gigs this year, and she sunk deeper in the drug-fueled end of nightlife.  The news of her demise came out on my friend's 30th birthday.  He had been quite close to her and was pretty devastated by her passing.  I'm not entirely sure how I feel about India's death.  I'm certainly more hardened toward the subject of opiate abuse and overdose than others.  Heroin killed two kids in my high school in the early 90s, and nearly claimed a third.  India would have turned 24 later this year, and that's certainly too young an age to go.

I've been dealing with whatever my deeper feelings on the issue by listening to a lot of Morphine albums.  After years of listening to Mark Sandman's music, I have concluded that he was most likely a raging asshat in person, but man could he write a tune. 

• 3 weeks later...

Oof.  Today was not the day to log on to Facebook.  Not only is FB telling me that it's India's 24th birthday, I found out my friend Liz lost her brother in a car accident early Thanksgiving morning.  I haven't seen liz in a few years, but I've kept in contact with her online.  She finished law school and passed the Maryland bar just a month ago.   There is no good time to lose a sibling, but having it happen so close to a major achievement and on a holiday is forever going to taint those events for her and her family.  

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite movie lines is from My Favorite Year. O'Toole's character is drunk and taking a piss in the ladies room. Woman walks in, sees him and says "Sir, this is for ladies!" O'Toole turns to her, still holding his dick and says "Madam, so is this, but sometimes I need to run some water through it." (Paraphrasing from memory)