RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Saw REO in the summer of '79.  They were the headliners for the Rockford Speedway Jam.  They were quite good, but The Cars were simply incredible and Ian Hunter was really eye opening for me (it was just after the release of "You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic").  It was freaking hot as hell and of course you're standing on or near asphalt all day long with nothing to drink but buckets of beer!  Amazing, long, long day...  
It was just myself, Dice, and Mince, my best two friends from high school.  Then on the way back home at about midnight we were the 4th car back from a head on collision that killed 6 people on US-51 which really was the only (shitty 2-lane) road South at the time (this was much prior to I-39).  There was blood, glass and car parts everywhere, with the last couple of victims who didn't die on impact still screaming.  Everyone was scrambling to see if they could help and trying to pry one girl free but then there was silence.  We couldn't do a thing to help these poor souls, the lone driver of the Northbound vehicle and 5 young people in the car that was heading South and tried to pass a long line of cars.  They had also been at the show all day, and were probably just as drunk and high as we were.  

We all sat around for nearly 2 hours until they finally cleared the road.  Some people were freaking out, others wandering from car to car just to have someone to chat with, but it was just so sad and eire.  From life to death in just an instant.  When we finally got moving again and down the road several miles, nothing was said for the longest time.  It had to be 2am by then.  Then all of sudden Dice, who was driving, cranked up The Doors for the rest of the way home.  We never talked about it again.  Could have been us just as easily, although thankfully he wasn't trying to pass anyone.

Anyway, RIP Gary.  Lots of good memories from that day too...

Oh, and the Head East "Flat As a Pancake" album is loaded with really fun kick ass 70s rock ("Never Had Any Reason" being the hit, and rightfully so).  Most of the REO guys were from Rockford, so they played there often, and Head East was from Pekin, IL near Peoria.  

c0172392_17263550.jpg

c0172392_17264549.jpg

I think the best thing we did was after the first 15-20 minutes or so (after a bunch of emergency vehicles had arrived)... was a bunch of guys who happened to have the misfortune of being so close up near to the accident (including the three of us) stood around and essentially formed a human road block about 150 yards back.  Or at least we tried the best we could to convince everyone who kept wandering up the road that they really didn't want to get any closer.  It worked for about 80% of the people.  
Then people who insisted on seeing it for themselves would come back 5 minutes later wishing they had listened to us.  So they started telling the new people who wandered up, "No, no, you don't want to see it..." (all dramatic, and insistent). Damn idiots!  It was like they had to be macho and walk up there to earn a badge of honor or something, and then be the big man hero trying to spare someone else... whereas those of us who were up front to begin with were just trying not to think about anything, and were basically in shock.  Then some new group of morons would wander up, and this kept going on for 2 hours. 

But you know, sitting in that line for so long, even as word of mouth reached back a mile (seemingly) or however long it was, some people still wanted to come up and gawk... and this was extremely high impact, so not much was left of either vehicle.  So that got frustrating, the fact that we were right there and had to babysit and keep looking out for all of the idiots who kept coming and coming...

But just all of those lights from such a variety of emergency vehicles flashing for so long, I think that's what I remember most.  That, and the darkness and quietness of the night.  Nowhere to go and nothing to do but wait with lights flashing and reflecting everywhere.

(Anyway, enough about that.)

I skipped this thread for months and wish I hadn't read this.  Not your fault but it gave me flashbacks of both of us screaming from within the car after impact, and I didn't know I was crying while reading this for the first few minutes. Still not your fault but I'm never coming back in this one again.

I skipped this thread for months and wish I hadn't read this.  Not your fault but it gave me flashbacks of both of us screaming from within the car after impact, and I didn't know I was crying while reading this for the first few minutes. Still not your fault but I'm never coming back in this one again.

Sorry about that, Larry.  I truly am.  At the same time, as hard as I'm sure as it must be to "see it" at times considering all that you've both been through (and will continue to go through for years to come, in one way or another)... but you we both among the lucky ones to have survived such a terrible accident.  Many don't, and the point I was making really is that life can be so fickle.  Here on minute, and gone the next.  Thankfully, most of us are fortunate enough never to have had to experience anything so traumatic directly, and we really do wish you and your daughter a full recovery in every sense of the word.

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 3

fkaLphi.jpg

Lost on the chaos and madness of last week was the passing of Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor, Motorhead's second (and best) drummer.  He was part of the "golden era" of Motorhead when it was a power trio of Lemmy, him and Fast Eddie Clarke.  His work on the Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades and Iron Fist albums is the stuff of legend.

• 3 weeks later...

Crap, still too young to fade. I have to say that Purple got me through my first winter in US, '94 in Worcester MA. I always thought that ILS/BE were such a brilliant compositions that shone on Weiland pathos, even though he had nothing on the writing of these.... RIP

Edited by CD44hi

Yes,but it's so uplifting when she prays for that poor, wayward homosexual. ;)

BTW, saw Stone Temple Pilots in Anchorage and loved the show. And absolutely loved everything I ever saw Robert Loggia in. RIP gentlemen.

Edited by swt61

• 3 weeks later...