Balancing the HD650 stock cable (finally all parts here)

deepak

I have all my parts and finally have some free time to balance the HD650 stock cable with 2 female XLR connectors.

I have done some searching and these two threads in particular were the most helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205655

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89411

My knowledge of balanced configurations is limited so I'll try and compile all the information I've gathered tonight:

XLR Connectors How do I wire my cable onto my 3 pin XLR (Pin configuration)?

The international application standard IEC 60 268-12 defines wiring of XLR connectors. The following is a brief description of the 3 pole version.

Pin1 --> Xternal of cable (shield/ground)

Pin2 --> Live (

It's just a terminology issue. There are only two wires per side of the HD650 cable. One wire on each side (that connected to the sleeve, or ground connection of the stock 1/4" plug) should be put to pin 3 of each XLR. The other wire on each side (that had connected to the ring or sleeve of the stock 1/4" pug) should go to pin 2 of each XLR. Simple as that.

One thing, don't forget to put the end cap of the XLR onto the wire before you solder the connectors, otherwise you have to do it all over again! I've done this a couple of times and always felt like a fool once I realized what I'd done.

The HD650 cable is unshielded.

One thing, don't forget to put the end cap of the XLR onto the wire before you solder the connectors, otherwise you have to do it all over again! I've done this a couple of times and always felt like a fool once I realized what I'd done.

Say the thread is the wire I assume this what you mean :P

1010720iu7.jpg

Solder after you pass the wire through the back endcap?