New Puppy

boomana

^ :)

So, this puppy is smart.  He got "sit" in about 15 minutes and it stuck, though I suspect he'd heard and seen it before having spent his first three and a half months in a house with dogs and people.  Started with "down" last night, and this morning, he's got it, though his version of down consists of pouncing into position.  It's cute.  We start puppy class today, the first of six in a six-week block.  Outside of the basics, I really want to address his growling and barking at other dogs, some people, and the occasional leaf or twig, especially when we're out at 6AM for an early morning pee.  I'm sure my neighbors will not be happy if this continues.  

It's funny at whom he decides he needs to growl.  Met John at a restaurant last night.  Watson was fine with pretty much everyone, except some guy at another table, who wasn't even that close to us or paying attention, and probably didn't even know there was a puppy.  Watson was on my lap or on the floor, and just kept looking at him, quietly growling his direction.  Weird. 

I really want to address his growling and barking at other dogs, and the occasional leaf or twig, especially when we're out at 6AM for an early morning pee.  I'm sure my neighbors will not be happy if this continues.  

Freddy used to bark at leaves and twigs. I miss that. 

Once his shadow moved due to changing lights and he attacked it. I miss that too. 

As long as you can stop him, and he does not bark the whole fucking time there is another dog on the block (like my neighbors dogs) I don't think anyone will really care. 

I just want to stop the anxiety barking and growling, not the hello or alerting stuff.  I got tips on how to stop him from carrying on once he's started, which is what I'm looking for.  He was the only puppy in the class today, and other than being already pooped out from accidentally getting there and hour early and wandering around a very exciting PetSmart with lots of peoples and doggies, he did great.  He'd mastered verbal sit the other day, so on to just hand signal which he figured out in only a couple tries.  Worked on "watch me," and a bit of leash advise.  They do clicker training, and he likes it.  He played with the neighbor girls after getting home, and is now sleeping next to Ivan, so close his feet are touching Ivan's back.  I love my boys.  

On an amusing note, Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes just came on tv.  I've never seen it.  Interesting timing.  In the opening scene, one of the character's calls Watson Sherlock's dog.   :)

My baby has mild case of kennel cough :(

Though he had all his shots, including bordetella, my vet thinks that due to the incubation period and timing, he probably acquired it on the puppy van coming down from Alabama with all the additional stress and a bunch of other puppies in close quarters.  He's feeling good today, but I have to keep him away from other dogs for two weeks, which means no day care.  Gotta figure something else out.  

Between me coughing with my cold, his coughing, and the cat's snoring, we're a noisy home.  

He's arriving on Tuesday via special bus from Alabama.  I met his brother, who arrived this past week, and fell in love.  I've never had a dog before, but passively wanted one for years.  After meeting Henry, his brother, then contacting the breeder and seeing his little guy's pics, I knew he was my dog.  I don't know how else to explain it, since I'm as surprised as anyone.

He's a Cavaton, half Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and half Coton de Tulear.  He was born on June 24.  This breeder likes to keep them longer for socialization and health checks.  He was raised in a house with two kids, five adult dogs, and his litter mates.  Supposed, he's the mellowest of the litter, which suits me fine.  Here are some pics from this past week:  

null_zps4fa6b89f.jpg

I LOVE YOUR NEW DOG AND I LOVE HIS NAME I LOVE HIM! He looks so fluffy and awesome. It sounds like he's adapted really quickly to his new life. I think he's a smart one and will have no issues doing what mom says, you are really lucky with this one. Sorry to hear about his cough, its a bummer when your dog isn't feeling well.

We just picked up a new dog last March, and when I saw your Watson, I knew my Wallace had to be Watson's trashy cousin that never made it out of Alabama:

20130723_104648.jpg

20130921_231737.jpg

My baby has mild case of kennel cough :(

Though he had all his shots, including bordetella, my vet thinks that due to the incubation period and timing, he probably acquired it on the puppy van coming down from Alabama with all the additional stress and a bunch of other puppies in close quarters. He's feeling good today, but I have to keep him away from other dogs for two weeks, which means no day care. Gotta figure something else out.

Between me coughing with my cold, his coughing, and the cat's snoring, we're a noisy home.

Hope you all feel better soon

null_zps0b2a8c58.jpg

Neighbor took this today while I was at work. I love my little boy. He's as sweet and fun as he looks.

Oh, and he's getting big.  I've had him three weeks today.  He lost a half pound the first week, but he's now up almost three pounds from that.  It's like he grew overnight.  He's still a tiny dog, but you can't tell with all his hair.

I gave him a bath and brushed his teeth on Sunday.  That was...er...interesting.  

• Like 1

Yeah, we gave up on brushing dog teeth. Too traumatic on both sides. Hopefully starting as a puppy will help. Our vet said if you can only stand a limited brushing, to focus on the fangs, as they are the most important to keep healthy. We can't even manage that, though ...

A lot of current "wisdom" for dogs I choose to ignore.  30 years and 4 breeds/5 dogs, I've never brushed their teeth.  Quest, my 13 yr old, not only has all his teeth intact, they look great.  Been the case with all my dogs, with only one who broke a tooth at age 10. 

I've had to reach into the mouths of two of my dogs to pull porcupine quills, which they willingly let me do with no fuss and no biting. Teaching "settle" from the first time they come into your home pays dividends their entire life.  Should help calm them for teeth cleaning as well.

Posted Image

Last needed shot today. My boy is 11.4 pounds. He's gained two since his last visit two weeks ago. He's still a bit smaller than his siblings, including the runt, but the breeder confirmed that he's always been the pickiest eater and least interested in food of the litter. Vet said he's happy and healthy, so I'm not going to worry.

Getting both him and the very mad cat to the vet this morning was quite the circus. Time for a nap.

• Like 1