A chance to start over

rpaul

In the past few years I've gone through a few headphones but favor the HD600. I recently sold my Headroom Desktop amp and picked up the HRT microStreamer, which is fine for portable use with my Macbook/Android. Drives the HD600 adequately and is good with my Phillips X1.

I am interested in trying out the the LCD-2/3/X sometime soon after the new models launch. I've read the microStreamer can drive the LCDs fine, remains to be seen.

If I wanted to reinvest in an amp + USB DAC (all-in-one or separates) that happens to gel particularly well with the HD600 and LCDs, are there any decent recommendations going not much higher than $1.5K that I should look into?

Seems the new breed of portable amp+DACs (Cypher Labs, ALO, CEntrance) get a lot of the press these days, and the only relatively new non-portables I've read anything about are offerings from Peachtree, Burson and Shiiiiiiiit.

Yes, I see that I'll need to meditate on this some more.

If one likes the flavor of sherry oak Macallan and doublewood Balvenie, and doesn't like the peaty, is there any point in wandering outside the Speyside?

Also, if the Apex Arete isn't available (new) anymore, what would be a comparable amp in its price range?

Yes, I see that I'll need to meditate on this some more.

If one likes the flavor of sherry oak Macallan and doublewood Balvenie, and doesn't like the peaty, is there any point in wandering outside the Speyside?

Also, if the Apex Arete isn't available (new) anymore, what would be a comparable amp in its price range?

1. If you want

2. whatever

When you are 20, dating a girl 10 years younger is not okay, but when you are 50 and starting over, it most certainly is okay.

Sent from mah phone-blet via Tapatalk now Free

Tagline for a Corvette commercial, perhaps even:

When you are 20, dating a girl 10 years younger is not okay, but when you are 50 and starting over, dating a 20 year-old is most certainly okay.

Schiit Vali because disposable amplifier is the best amplifier.

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about the Vali.)

Gotta love subminiatures.  I need to finish my Stax submini amp...

I don't get it - microphonics are now the norm ... and are fine for a $5000 Abyss according to some.

II recently sold my Headroom Desktop amp and picked up the HRT microStreamer, which is fine for portable use with my Macbook/Android. Drives the HD600 adequately and is good with my Phillips X1.

I am interested in trying out the the LCD-2/3/X sometime soon after the new models launch. I've read the microStreamer can drive the LCDs fine, remains to be seen.

If I wanted to reinvest in an amp + USB DAC (all-in-one or separates) that happens to gel particularly well with the HD600 and LCDs, are there any decent recommendations going not much higher than $1.5K that I should look into?

Seems the new breed of portable amp+DACs (Cypher Labs, ALO, CEntrance) get a lot of the press these days, and the only relatively new non-portables I've read anything about are offerings from Peachtree, Burson and Shiiiiiiiit.

Buy whatever tickles your bits.  

If you don't like it, sell it.  

If you do like it, sell it on a whim and then make another post like this.

I don't get it - microphonics are now the norm ... and are fine for a $5000 Abyss according to some.

For me the sub-mini is more of a "can this possibly work" challenge and I guess it is the same for Schiit.  Why not waste some money on a crazy project...  :)  Of all the stuff I've done this has the biggest WTF factor from my friends.  Being able to hold an 8 tube amp in the palm of your hand is very cool... 

Sze0spGh.jpg

Its it as good as the full size GES Mk2?  Nope but who cares... 

For me the sub-mini is more of a "can this possibly work" challenge and I guess it is the same for Schiit.  Why not waste some money on a crazy project...  :)  Of all the stuff I've done this has the biggest WTF factor from my friends.  Being able to hold an 8 tube amp in the palm of your hand is very cool... 

Sze0spGh.jpg

Its it as good as the full size GES Mk2?  Nope but who cares... 

Very cool.  Still, those look a lot better quality than a 6088 whose pin structure is clamped into a single plane as solderable-leads.  So, is it OK for a Stax SR-009 if you don't bang on the table too hard? ;)

Those are all 8 pin circular units and micro phonics aren't something I've noticed but as of yet it hasn't been put into proper use. 

Never been a fan of the inline mounting either though it makes fitting them much easier.  These were not fun as the markings on the Soviet units didn't match up to the pins, not even close.