kgst

kevin gilmore

I got the other channel built.  Came up just fine :)

I'm really loving the sound.  I haven't compared it yet to the BH or KGSShv.

The width on this is 7".  So far so good.

dswp.jpg

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 2

Great question.  I'd like to do a single chassis 7" x 12" x 2".  The Transform would be mounted on top in the back.  I can fit everything, but wouldn't be able to do a delayed start for the HV.  I'm giving it a good think though and might need to go just a bit deeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice :D

I'm curious how you think this compares to the KGSSHV and the BH.  I haven't been able to run the three side by side yet.  I'm being lazy and I've got to move a bunch of stuff around since the KGST is stuck on my bench.

Been listening to the KGST and it does sound pretty good indeed.  It's a bit shocking how close it comes to the BH, throwing that same deep soundstage with a rock solid foundation.  Now the BH is still better but this is damn close... 

Thanks again Kevin and Birgir for coming  up with a fantastic project.  A great inspiration to us. This looks a really nice one to build and the valves/tubes are not expensive.

The only way I’m likely to hear one is to build it so here we go.  l have to get some boards made for my use.   If you’re  happy with the boards version as it is now  I can offer to do a group buy.  I have looked into pricing.  If 10 sets are ordered they would come out at around  £42 delivered to US, from England.

If 20 sets were ordered it would be around £34 delivered to US.  This ignores paypal fees so a few $$ more for that and currency conversion.  (A set is two amp pcbs and one PS pcb.)

When the order is in, delivery would be 15 working days to me and then about a week to US/Europe.

pm me with your  interest.

Of course Europe is not the cheapest place for buying pcbs - if you guys Stateside can get better prices then perhaps you can get some arranged for me.

To save you working it out those approx delivered prices £42=$70, £34=$57

Edited by headinclouds

So I've been having some fun with this design.  I've gone ahead and shrunk this thing way down.  Each channel is 2" x 4.5".  I've used some really small SMD parts so not for the faint of heart.

Here's the boards:

mbtq.jpg

igpo.jpg

I mustn't forget to add my praise to that heaped upon Kerry for this fantastic work.  So impressive!

Edited by headinclouds
  • Like 1

I can offer to do a group buy.

Thanks in advance for your efforts. I just didn't get which version of the boards you plan to order? Kerry's SMD version or Kevin's/Birgir's through hole version? (Personally I would prefer the latter)

Thanks in advance for your efforts. I just didn't get which version of the boards you plan to order? Kerry's SMD version or Kevin's/Birgir's through hole version? (Personally I would prefer the latter)

Yes it's the through hole version - I'm not that brave.

I have received a number of pms of interest and we're already over 10 sets so the price is looking good.  Incidentally it doesn't have to be a set; it can be just amps (or PS!)

pm me with your wants

Just so people know this version of the amp boards has been proved working.  Pretty much the same as my sets except I fixed some minor labeling issues.

Power supply is a variation of the Blue Hawaii design and a slightly different version to the one I used.