kgst

kevin gilmore

"If 20 sets were ordered it would be around £34 delivered to US"

Plenty of interest already.

Update on group buy pcb price: We're at about 24 sets now and the price/set is £20.

delivery to US about £13 if I can believe Royal Mail price finder.  And a bit for paypal fees.

Cheers
Edited by headinclouds

Kerry/Justin/Kevin/Birgir:

What smd resistors are you using for designs?

For my build I used mostly Vishay / Dale thick film.  I suppose there are a couple of spots where I should spend a bit more and go with the IRC thin film.  Size wise they were 1/4W 1206 and 1/8W 0805.  Here are some sample part numbers (CRCW0805100RFKEA, CRCW1206300RFKEA)

I am interested in these boards as well.  Looking for something to build, and something to drive my 007A.  Please be warned, though -- so far I've only successfully assembled a keyboard and a tube clock.  If you agree to loop me in for boards, you expose yourselves to a litany of questions about resistor directions, troubleshooting, casework, etc.  I'll do my best to be a gentleman.

• Like 1

This would be a nice first project imo, nothing to offboard, tube sockets are fairly forgiving, etc.

If you are actually in Beijing you should be able to rope someone in to solder for you too, but that wouldn't be any fun

I am here in Beijing, yeah.  Of course, as you've alluded to, the fun is in doing it yourself.  If I get in a bind, though, it would be an exciting excursion to take a half-built electrostatic amp to 中关村 and learn some new vocab。

I will do an inspection Tyler if you want :)

I hope that it is not necessary, but I really appreciate the courtesy, sir.  It's nice to know that, if all else fails, someone who knows what they are doing will have a look at it.

I am interested in these boards as well.  Looking for something to build, and something to drive my 007A.  Please be warned, though -- so far I've only successfully assembled a keyboard and a tube clock.  If you agree to loop me in for boards, you expose yourselves to a litany of questions about resistor directions, troubleshooting, casework, etc.  I'll do my best to be a gentleman.

How can one resist since you put it like that!  I'll pm you

• Like 1

Well I do have a contact page now...  :-   Setting up the site was easy, finding time to add anything to it is trickier.  Today I started work on three new amps instead of making so product pages. 

I'm seriously considering adding a thread in public area here and linking to it.  I'm  never going to accept orders for anything, just sell what I've already built, so having a thread for it makes sense.  

Ohh yeah, one of the amps I started on is a KGST...  :)

Update on the board group buy

I was pretty surprised by the response; the pm inbox was coming up constantly for a few days. 

Requests stand at 72 amp channels and 45 PS boards.  Price is around £19/set.

There should be some interesting discussions on here when we get going.

Now a slight pause – Birgir is building a KGST with the new PS board and it would be wise to hold off ordering till he gives it the all-clear for production.

This will be a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any substitutes for the 6s4a? I've been looking and asking around a bit, but I haven't found anything. I'm mostly just curious, since it seems like you can get a ton 6s4a tubes off ebay for cheap.

Also, is it correct that getting a matched quad is unnecessary since the amp is ccs? If that's true, then its ok to mix brands, since they should all be made to the same specifications, right?

Btw, if these are dumb questions and/or my statements are inaccurate, sorry, this would be my first project so I'm still in the learning phase :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No subs for the 6S4A's but the amp can be redesigned to fit some other tubes if supplies run out.  They are even more oddball and nobody has any use for them...  :)

Tubes have to be matched pairs but ideally matched quads of the same identical construction.  The biggest difference is GE or RCA manufacture but there are a few sub groups of the different tubes. 

While on the subject, the KGST power supply PCB's just arrived so I'll see when I'll have the time to stuff one and test it.