kgst

kevin gilmore

A 3U unit has a lot of air in it so you should be fine without a fully vented bottom.  I hate those inner bases and my bottom panels always look perfect.  :´) 

Can you please post a photo of the bottom of one of your builds? Do you use countersunk screws to secure the offsets?

Would vent holes on the sides of the case work?  I'm using a Par-Metal 20 series case that has a column of vent holes on the left and right side of the bottom plate and top panel, and a row of vent holes towards the bottom for the side panels.  Picture here: http://par-metal.com/product-ttp-20series.php

I'm getting a top panel made with more vent holes and was wondering if an additional row of vent holes on the side panels would help. 

Edited by chiguy

What is the recommended thermistor to serve as an inrush current protection for the KGST and KGSSHV? When I built my KGSSHV I used one that was listed in a BOM, without giving it much thought. 

When using 230VAC mains, would you put one in series with the primary?

This depends on the inrush current which is a function of the VA of the transformer and the amount of capacitance in the PSU.

My speculation, is that Spritzer oversizes his fuses a bit to not need a thermistor. I use VA/line * 1.33 to size the fuse. Then choose slo-blo. If this works, leave it without a thermistor. If it doesn't, use something like a CL60 for a 300VA or so transformer and adjust up or down from here depending on what sort of capacitance you have. It's a rule of thumb.

I like fuse ratings as absolutely small as possible. Some people just keep increasing the size until it works. YMMV.

• Like 1

It's starting to look like no one has KGST boards available. :( So I started researching getting my own made. I've never ordered PCBs before, so I could use some advice.

The cheapest thing I found is a $33/board deal from 4pcb.com, with a minimum of 4 (http://www.4pcb.com/33-each-pcbs/index.html). It ends up being $99 per set of three boards, with a minimum order of 4 for a total of around $400 (guess I'll just make more amps or have extras available for the next interested person). I'm worried about the specs. Is the 1-oz copper enough? What about the 0.062" thickness?

For small runs of boards, which manufacturers do you guys use? Are there better deals around?

It's starting to look like no one has KGST boards available. :( So I started researching getting my own made. I've never ordered PCBs before, so I could use some advice.

The cheapest thing I found is a $33/board deal from 4pcb.com, with a minimum of 4 (http://www.4pcb.com/33-each-pcbs/index.html). It ends up being $99 per set of three boards, with a minimum order of 4 for a total of around $400 (guess I'll just make more amps or have extras available for the next interested person). I'm worried about the specs. Is the 1-oz copper enough? What about the 0.062" thickness?

For small runs of boards, which manufacturers do you guys use? Are there better deals around?

The board run I did was for 2 oz copper, 1.6mm FR4 HASL.

• Like 1

My KGST is finished, only the frontpanel is missing. I must say I am really impressed. Have not had time yet to do a 1 on 1 with the KGSSHV (IXYS parts), but it sound really really good. I'd say there is something special to it, the KGSSHV doesn't have. May be the secret lies in the tubes? It's my first tube amp. It sounds sooo good, it give me a chill all the time. 

What do you think about the difference between the KGST and the KGSSHV? My memory tells me that in the KGSSHV the difference between the sa4686 and ixys parts is really minor. Can someone confirm? 

post-4130-0-74786300-1415535402_thumb.jp

Edited by insanity

ATM long term temperature monitoring mine while listening. The heatsinks opposite side of the CCS are running 130-134F. I'll probably go with a cutout in the top plate and screen mesh insert above the tubes and heatsinks and see how that works out.

Agree that the KGST is a very special amp. Can't turn it off if I start listening.

Many thanks again to Kevin and Birgir for the original design and development. And to Geoff for the PCB group buy. :)

post-4504-0-25591800-1415557161_thumb.jp