kgst

kevin gilmore

1st post here so, Hi folks!

@ s_r Great job!

I've just got myself a KGST board set, tubes and Stax socket and am currently getting everything else together for the build. My downfall is that I rarely finish the chassis's on my projects, so I've made the decision with this one to get the chassis sorted before I start soldering! There's will-power for you! Anyway, did Modushop do all the work on the enclosure, i.e. top and front panels, or did you get them done somewhere else?

Thanks.

@ s_r nice build, much more compact than mine. I wanted a frontpanel without screws though. I just noticed that your replacements for the 1.5k resistor look quite small. Hope they can handle the dissipation. Are they 1/2 or 1/4W?

Edited by insanity

That's correct. The ones etched USA with grey plates are GE, and black plates are RCA. Those are often rebranded. There are also rare printed Japan manufactured 6S4As that have black plates. I am unaware of any European manufactured equivalents.

Late edit: ECG Philips branded grey plates are a different internal contruction from the GE. The Sylvanias I've seen are rebranded Philips.

Edited by Laowei

It definitely looks like a balanced (shielded) cable.

I prefer using a standard two core audio cable rather than a balanced (shielded) cable within the amp.

Rather than drag the shield through the amp, I connect it directly to the chassis at point of entry (the Neutrik DLX series have a feature just for this) with the shortest piece of wire possible.

“Balanced cable shields should function as an extension of the enclosure.” (Raine notes)

Spritzer has those PCB’s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished building a KGST and it sounds amazing.  Much thanks to the Stax Mafia for an awesome design and making all of this possible, Headinclouds for the group buy, and everyone here for your help and assistance :) 

So I gave one of the two KGSTs I was building as a wedding gift to a friend who just so happens to be a photographer and he gave me in return some pictures of it.  I'm still finishing up the other one but here is the finished one.

post-4145-0-69935500-1417578118_thumb.jp

post-4145-0-20416500-1417578128_thumb.jp

post-4145-0-71008600-1417578108_thumb.jp

post-4145-0-75926500-1417578113_thumb.jp

post-4145-0-18888800-1417578124_thumb.jp

The rest of the photos are here: http://adhikariphoto.smugmug.com/Portraits/KGST/n-9GZfc/

• Like 8