kgst

kevin gilmore

Eventually, I built this.  My first electrostatic amp.  

I used to have a SRM727.  It was a bad match to my DAC.  I then lived with a 10 years old  SRM-313 for a year.  Now I have this.  it really make a difference.  

Thanks KG, Headincloud and Enrique.  You guys have been very helpful 

DSC07603_zpskqm71qrn.jpg

I want something small so I cut it into two half and stack it up.

It was made of soft wood.  It was only the materials available in the 100 yen shop downstairs (A shop sells anything for 100 yen).  The 5 pieces of wood costed me 7 dollars.

it was supposed to be a temporary solution but I think it looks quite OK.  

I am going to add a transparent plastic cover then use it for the time being.  BUT is it SAFE??? :(

DSC07606_zpslwdbbdeu.jpg

I want something small so I cut it into two half and stack it up.

It was made of soft wood.  It was only the materials available in the 100 yen shop downstairs (A shop sells anything for 100 yen).  The 5 pieces of wood costed me 7 dollars.

it was supposed to be a temporary solution but I think it looks quite OK.  

I am going to add a transparent plastic cover then use it for the time being.  BUT is it SAFE??? :(

DSC07606_zpslwdbbdeu.jpg

7 dollars? You were robbed! (only joking) But at least you've built it, so you have my admiration for that.!!

I've got all my parts now but I'm still sorting my chassis. Elm frame, brass legs and copper top. I like a bit of weight! I HAVE to build the chassis before I get the soldering iron out. I've just too many projects with unfinished chassis.

@nopants, I think this could well take over the title for the longest build, so don't pester me people.

P5230056_zpsqh882fzr.jpgFinal%20chassis_zpsebnhabn9.jpeg

$7 dollars was only for the wood.  The stainless steel screws cost a lot more.

I wish I could do something like yours.  

I planned to have somebody to make one similar to yours but I was just too lazy to do the drawing.

It took me a week to complete the drawing for my last headphone amp.  The builder asked for drawing in CAD format?  I had to look it up from wikipedia before I knew what he was saying  :-[ . (of course the builder ended up working from my pencil drawing)

My KGST is running too hot.  I can't put my hand on the top plate for more than 3 seconds.  I did drill some holes on the bottom plate and many holes on the top.  Should I put a lot more holes on the top plate?  Or would it be better to do more holes on the bottom?

20150603_203522_zpswpfqhgon.jpg

20150603_203640_zpsyxgudszu.jpg

By the way, it sounds amazing when it's really hot.

Just drop the current a bit in the CCS.  There are 300R resistors right next to the main heatsinks, change those to say 400R or something like that. 

Btw.  There is a reason why my amps have a completely open top and holes in the bottom.  ;D