kgst

kevin gilmore

4 minutes ago, charlo89 said:

thank you :)

I think last question, Can I flip all component on the other side of the boards to get the tube almost alone on one side ? All component exept no flipable component like the lsk389 or the STN9360

Or just put the tubes/trimmers on the underside... much easier than all the other components. :P 

Edited by johnwmclean

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:26 AM, charlo89 said:

thank you :)

I think last question, Can I flip all component on the other side of the boards to get the tube almost alone on one side ? All component exept no flipable component like the lsk389 or the STN9360

Looks like you worked it out yourself! I guess you could populate the board normally and fasten it upside down to the top panel of your chassis. Then use short wires from the bottom of the board to tube sockets bolted to the underside of the top panel. However that raises the problem of adequate heat sinking as they don't tend to work too well upside down! Maybe you could use something like a http://uk.farnell.com/amec-thermasol/mhp-1220a-100a/heat-pipe-ultra-flat-1tx100l-mm/dp/2290468 to replace the big sinks, (you'd need to size that appropriately) fastened between regs/mosfets and the top panel.

But then it's getting complicated and you'd probably be better just getting modified boards made, or use connectors like I did!

On 12/2/2016 at 0:14 PM, valve5425 said:

Looks like you worked it out yourself! I guess you could populate the board normally and fasten it upside down to the top panel of your chassis. Then use short wires from the bottom of the board to tube sockets bolted to the underside of the top panel. However that raises the problem of adequate heat sinking as they don't tend to work too well upside down! Maybe you could use something like a http://uk.farnell.com/amec-thermasol/mhp-1220a-100a/heat-pipe-ultra-flat-1tx100l-mm/dp/2290468 to replace the big sinks, (you'd need to size that appropriately) fastened between regs/mosfets and the top panel.

But then it's getting complicated and you'd probably be better just getting modified boards made, or use connectors like I did!

Thank you for your answer, I think I will use this PCB 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pc-CMC-9pin-tube-socket-Adapter-bare-PCB-for-EL84-12AX7-6BQ5-ECC83-ECC85-6P14-/191208473634?hash=item2c84e9c422:g:slcAAOxyUfFTlc8q

This socket www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-High-Quality-Ceramic-9Pin-B9A-Vacuum-Tube-Socket-For-12BH7-12AU7-ECC83-EL84-/191688017575?hash=item2ca17f06a7:g:ZkAAAOSw5dNWmODJ

Fix everything to the chassis with this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-34mm-12AU7-Vintage-Tube-Audio-Matting-Machined-Aluminum-Decorative-Ring-DIY-/201496427354?hash=item2eea1f7b5a:g:eX0AAOSwKtlWij~P

And wire the tube pcb to the KGST pcb with a molex connector as you did :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you for your kind words. Metal work is not my forté.

Reason this build is unbalance input is I am saving my very precious 4 ganged alpha pot purchased from the Don years ago for my carbon project. Also I do not own any preamp or source with balance output. 

36 minutes ago, wokstarr26 said:

Thank you for your kind words. Metal work is not my forté.

Reason this build is unbalance input is I am saving my very precious 4 ganged alpha pot purchased from the Don years ago for my carbon project. Also I do not own any preamp or source with balance output. 

OK, but a balanced input is a good alternative... Imagine that in the future, you have a balanced source. :wacko:

You only need to spend a little time and very little money.

Edit; My KGST has 3 unbalanced input and 1 balanced input ;)

Edited by jose

3 hours ago, jose said:

OK, but a balanced input is a good alternative... Imagine that in the future, you have a balanced source. :wacko:

You only need to spend a little time and very little money.

Edit; My KGST has 3 unbalanced input and 1 balanced input ;)

But by that same token balanced input could just a easily be added later when/if he ever has a balanced source. If it's not ever needed then no harm done. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2016 at 10:19 AM, wokstarr26 said:

At last finish my KGST. This is my first completed KG project cased. Please I like any suggestion to improve my future build. It's a long road finding machine shop locally to cut the ventilation hole with an old milling machine. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well done Fred, I am so glad you stuck with it.That looks very nice.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...