Woo 234 Monoblock headphone amp ($10K) + JPS Abyss planar 'phones ($5500)

Jon L

I was dumbfounded to see this photo from RMAF, showing off the $15K combo of Woo 234 monoblocks, which is able to use 2A3, 45, or 300B with both speaker and headphone outputs. The Abyss planar 'phones at $5500 costs a little more than Stax SR009 even. Anybody tried either product?

10281705575_b65f97ffed_o.jpg

woo234 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Edited by Jon L
  • Like 1

Abyss sounds pretty good...much better than I expected.  The bass in particular is just great.  Treble is pretty horrible.  Maybe the most open sounding ortho.  I'd never pay that asking price though. 

I expect the Woo to sound pretty 'meh'...jack of all trades, master of none. 

The first problem with that amp are the tubes used, 6SN7 and 2A3/300B are all fine tubes but should not be used together.  The 6SN7 just doesn't have what it takes to drive the DHT's properly.  Why this combo is so widely used just goes to show why most of high-end audio is just the same crap done over and over and over again.  The 6SN7 would be a fine input tube (though the ECC's are more modern and better) and then something else to drive the DHT's.  A cheap one in current production is the ECC99 which was designed for this role.  The Russian version would also work. 

Second issue are the transformers used by Woo.  In every Woo product I've taken apart the transformers are dirt cheap garbage.  Seriously, anybody thinking the Woo Wee is better than a Stax SRD-7 is just delusional.  In a simple amp such as this the quality of the transformer is paramount so I wouldn't settle for anything less than a bifilar wound C-core, done by somebody who knows what they are doing. 

Lastly the power supplies.  This is Woo after all so we all know the power supply is fucked.  Rectifier tube run way past its rating to help people believe rolling them makes a difference? 

Am I the only one who this that the mere idea of a monoblock amp for headphones is the very definition of unnecessary overkill?

That's irrelevant to woo, because people are still going to buy them; in fact, I know there are buyers already lining up in the Chinese market to get this when available.

Isn't "MOAR Power (aka. overkill)" the motto of the DIY community here? So, I don't see that as any problem.... problem is is the circuit up to snuff... well Birgir certainly doesn't think so... but that's not going to stop those suckers with thick wallets.

That's irrelevant to woo, because people are still going to buy them; in fact, I know there are buyers already lining up in the Chinese market to get this when available.

Isn't "MOAR Power (aka. overkill)" the motto of the DIY community here? So, I don't see that as any problem.... problem is is the circuit up to snuff... well Birgir certainly doesn't think so... but that's not going to stop those suckers with thick wallets.

We are all for overkill when the goal is better performance.  Making some lackluster circuit seem impressive to stupid people isn't really our thing...

and this is why it isn't used

Yup, people used 6n6's instead of unknown origins instead... well that or 6SN7's...

Good points… but I guess I didn't make myself that clear. I see superficially how things go in the DIY session here, with overkills such as the T2, but I'm all for it, for a simple reason: it seems that those things are done to push the envelope and see how far you can go mostly for the fun of it, and this makes all the difference.

To me this is the polar opposite of the audience which something like that Woo seems to cater to. Which, I reckon, is made of people who take this hobby way too seriously in a sort of laughable way. The way it advertises and works it's "monoblockness" is completely different to that old Blockhead, to a point where it in my opinion just gets ridiculous.

It's quite difficult to explain what I think about this (heck, I'm not all that clear about what I think), but I think that this is precisely where all the bullshit and snakeoils operate, you know? It's a fertile field where they just grow and grow, get together with people's ego and just keep getting worse. Like things you see in audiophile forums all the time... ludicrous claims about burn-in, 5 grand power cables, spending 500 bucks on a portable amp to use with a mediocre in-ear and so on.

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

Good points… but I guess I didn't make myself that clear. I see superficially how things go in the DIY session here, with overkills such as the T2, but I'm all for it, for a simple reason: it seems that those things are done to push the envelope and see how far you can go mostly for the fun of it, and this makes all the difference.

To me this is the polar opposite of the audience which something like that Woo seems to cater to. Which, I reckon, is made of people who take this hobby way too seriously in a sort of laughable way. The way it advertises and works it's "monoblockness" is completely different to that old Blockhead, to a point where it in my opinion just gets ridiculous.

It's quite difficult to explain what I think about this (heck, I'm not all that clear about what I think), but I think that this is precisely where all the bullshit and snakeoils operate, you know? It's a fertile field where they just grow and grow, get together with people's ego and just keep getting worse. Like things you see in audiophile forums all the time... ludicrous claims about burn-in, 5 grand power cables, spending 500 bucks on a portable amp to use with a mediocre in-ear and so on.

Nah, I get you.  You are saying Head-Case is about overkill done right: better design, better parts, more quality, refinement, and a lot of learning along the way... it's what DIY is all about.  This monoblock amp, on the other hand, is everything that is shit about the audio world: put lipstick on a pig and all the dipshits line up for that fucking lipstick.

Nah, I get you.  You are saying Head-Case is about overkill done right: better design, better parts, more quality, refinement, and a lot of learning along the way... it's what DIY is all about.  This monoblock amp, on the other hand, is everything that is shit about the audio world: put lipstick on a pig and all the dipshits line up for that fucking lipstick.

Exactly, yes. I wouldn't go so far as to call that Woo a piece of crap on my own because I know nothing about electronics, but the issue is that I'm convinced it was designed from scratch as a monoblock - but for the "OMFG it's a monoblock for headphones, I'll sell my car to get one" factor, and not because such a construction is a necessity at the performance levels intended, even if it ends up helping. The monoblockness should be a means, not an end, and the impression I have is that it's an end as a marketing piece to those who take it too seriously and get caught up in all the bullshit.

If such a product were to be developed here, I reckon it would come after a lot of experience and collaborative learning, with a lot of fun along the way, that a monoblock is the way to go, even if it's kind of disguised (such as the Blockhead that Grawk mentioned).

And Dusty, I know (well, I used to drive my JH13s with the GS-X at home ;D ), but that's what I meant by it ˆ!

My amp seems to do all the wrong things: 6SN7 driving 300B, cap-coupled output...  But I think it sounds glorious.   I wonder if it is just the same thing as a Woo.  After all, it uses the same tubes!  Perhaps the WOOl is being pulled over my eyes/ears.

I was dumbfounded to see this photo from RMAF, showing off the $15K combo of Woo 234 monoblocks, which is able to use 2A3, 45, or 300B with both speaker and headphone outputs. The Abyss planar 'phones at $5500 costs a little more than Stax SR009 even. Anybody tried either product?

10281705575_b65f97ffed_o.jpg

woo234 by drjlo2, on Flickr

I was dumbfounded as well. Reminded me of the Jecklin float picture that everyone posts  :palm: