Distortion from left driver

shellylh

When it rains it pours...

I did a potentially stupid thing yesterday (took off the cover/earpad on the HD580 while music was playing) and now there seems to be some distortion* on the left side.  It is definitely the headphones (I have switched out the amp/dac). Could this be anything more than getting some fuzz hair on the driver - I don't see anything obvious with the naked eye -  or could there be some other damage since the driver was being used when I removed the cover?  If there is some dust or hair, how do I get it off, especially if it is not obvious where it is?

*I think it is distortion.  When playing low bass, it buzzes a bit like really cheap speakers turned up too loud.  

You can remove the actual drivers from the HD580 from the back.

You take off the grills, take out the cables, take off the "hoops" (also the ones on the bottom) and the drivers can be gently pried out with the stem to the cable connector attached. It is very easy to clean gunk off of them this way. 

You can remove the actual drivers from the HD580 from the back.

You take off the grills, take out the cables, take off the "hoops" (also the ones on the bottom) and the drivers can be gently pried out with the stem to the cable connector attached. It is very easy to clean gunk off of them this way. 

OK, so how should I clean the gunk off?  Isopropyl alcohol and ....?

It is very likely to be hair and it is easy to pull out even with bare fingers. Just have a good look from every angle and do not use any kind of liquid (or keep them very far from the drivers if it is really needed for anything).

Edited by padam

OK, so how should I clean the gunk off?  Isopropyl alcohol and ....?

When I have taken these appart the gunk just brushes off with the gentlest touch of a cleaning brush or a very very soft fine tipped paintbrush. 

The gunk that accumulate in headphones is kind of gross. 

Must be plankton...I think you're fucked.

Post of the year. 

If you're not seeing it, then there may well be something else wrong.  I've blown a driver (in my case, a woofer in an ancient speaker) by playing too much bass through them.  What happens is the coil warps.  Not really anything can be done about it, other than replace the driver.  I don't know how to verify this to be the case, though.  The coils remain housed down to the degree of discombobulation described by Ari.

The only other choice is that you accidentally pulled a Kinks on when removing the pads.  Doubtful, though, you'd know.  (I'm thinking of the images of The Kinks creating distortion by actually plunging knives into the surrounds of the drivers in their guitar cabinets.)

I followed Ari's advice to open up the headphones and take out the driver.  I take off the grills and see that these have already been messed with (I got these from Deepak and assumed he bought them used), sigh.  Someone removed the foam and the drivers weren't seated correctly.  Sigh.  

i-rg6HCQQ-L.jpg

I take out the left driver and try to careful get off some hair/gunk.  Then I look at the right driver and it is also not seated correctly, so much that when I barely touch it, it falls on the floor.  I pick it up and see that it has a little crease on the driver.  I have no clue if it was there before.  

i-n4W6vqH-L.jpg

Oh well, that doesn't look too bad. I put back everything and plug it in and the right side sounds ok and the left side sounds much better but there is still a bit of distortion at times that is bugging me.  So I keep opening it up, "carefully" getting more gunk off.  However, I must have pressed my luck.  The last time, I had trouble getting the driver out and once it came loose, my finger hit it severely and now the driver is really fucked (there is sound, but it is totally unlistenable).  Sigh.  

i-XgW8ZDV-L.jpg

I know that I can get a new HD600 driver from Sennheiser ($50 each?) but I would probably want to get another driver for the right side too.  Since these have been messed with and are old/used, I probably will just get a shiny new pair of HD600 from Justin instead.  That is, unless there is a better mid-fi headphone out there now.  

For now, I am using hubby's HD555 which are ok but not as nice as the HD580/600. 

Edited by shellylh

EEK! Thats not good. 

Try blowing into the back of the driver VERY gently. Put your mouth over it an give the tiniest puff of air. Exhale 2-3cc, if you can imagine that. Very little air. Just enough to pop it back into place, but not so much to tear the driver off of its mounts. 

After that, if there are still creases - Repeat the following procedure with a little bit of 3M post-it note and then scotch tape (the gentlest you can find) followed by more agresive scotch tape in order from "you're crazytoast" to "OMFG-WTF-YOLO"

Take a piece of adhesive tape and cut it down to a good sharp point. 

VERY VERY gently press it into the crease. 

Pull it out. 

You should feel VERY light tension as you pull the tape out, and HOPEFULLY the dents will pull out with a minimum of effort. 

Start with 3M post it notes. 

Hopefully one of these works. 

Edited by nikongod

I tried the blowing method already - that didn't work.  I used a rocket blower though and maybe that is the thing that really messed up the driver? 

I'll try the tape trick next.  

Edit:  tape trick no worky.  They are fucked.  

If anyone is interested in a pair of HD580's, with one really screwed up driver and another driver with a little dent, and missing foam, let me know.  Everything else seems to be ok.  ;)

Edited by shellylh

So, you're selling a HD580 headband and cable, right? :)

Sorry to hear of the troubles, Shelly.  You might poke around (pun fully intended) and see if there's anything reasonable out there on the used market.  Or see what Justin has to say about HD600s.  I really like the 600s.  Not enough to own them again but that's because I'm trying to be a one headphone kinda guy.

I actually have a pair of KSC75 sitting around unused - the plastic earpiece broke off.  I suppose it might be a bit of work to put the drivers in.  It does seem like a good use of the two parts though.  :)

I thought about getting the HD600 drivers but if I am going to spend $100, at this point, I'd rather go ahead and a new pair of HD600's (even with the 80's paintjob) because that's the way I am... I don't really like putting used fabric on my face.  Also the 580's headband is a looser on my head than I would like. 

After that, if there are still creases - Repeat the following procedure with a little bit of 3M post-it note and then scotch tape (the gentlest you can find) followed by more agresive scotch tape in order from "you're crazytoast" to "OMFG-WTF-YOLO"

Omg this had me in tears.

Btw, I had the exact same problem with my old HD580's, the crinks need a bit of heat to reshape back to normal. I fixed mine by sleeping with it, enough heat to retract the membrane to normal.

Edited by DefQon