Light Harmonic Geek Pulse

blessingx

yep... the same group....

Those people (backers) are going nuts on this thing... some probably spent close to $1000: LPS@ 300, Pulse@ 250, Upgrade@ 150, Bluetooth@ 170, and the new 120 clock thing (using their cheapest options.)

That's a whole lot to pay for something that's almost still completely preliminary... no internal pic, no final case design, nothing at all, in fact it seems like LHL isn't even sure what it will be.... The only thing they have so far, is the measurements that , as far as I know, can be easily made up...

With the (IMO) grossly overpriced power supply and that clock thing, they collected about $150K in 3 days, which is quite stunning but also worrisome.

Yeah... everything added together just seems like a train headed for disaster, but I'm still keeping my order just because it's not that much at 199, and I'm looking at it more like a toy than a serious piece of equipment, which is the way many of the backers are thinking... They are likely to find themselves disappointed...

... and the reported sales and customer numbers can be made up as well, correct?

I'm glad I chose not to have anything to do with this mess.  Remind me, is there an actual fracking product yet or are they just continuing to sell vaporware with a promise of delivery sometime next year?

Agreed, so much hype with delivery far out in the future allows the perpetrators vendors plenty of time to real in all the suckers customers before they default.  Maybe they are  Keely's related to this guy-

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-keelys-perpetual-motion-machine-2013-12

Pure vapor as far as I know. Pictures of a prototype but no internal shots. Again wouldn't be surprised if they collect the money and run, especially with the way they are doing everything they can to generate sales. Hope I'm wrong though.

With the preponderance of vendors posting internal shots of their products (even with red nail polish) and these guys being so big on the marketing hype it seems odd that they would pass up an opportunity to hype themselves even more.

Are you sure that Mikhail isn't behind all this? What an upgrade scheme :palm:

Hmmmm, maybe they read his playbook?

similar maybe, i saw this which looks cool: http://onlycoin.com

its available for pre-order for $50 which is 50% off, which seems odd to me as I really doubt the product would be successful at $100. except it says it ships Summer 2014, which makes me think it doesnt really exist yet

Looks cool, but I'll wait till they get PCI certification before even thinking of giving them money. They don't have it yet, but hide that fact far down in their faq:

Q. Does Coin satisfy PCI DSS standards for storing and transmitting card data?

A. Coin is in the process of earning a PCI DSS certification.

There's also the small issue of the fact that their "pre-order" isn't really a pre-order, they're just calling it that but in reality they're just treating it as a kickstarter funding campaign and charging immediately: 

Q. Why are you charging me immediately for my pre-order?

A. Creating and manufacturing new devices is expensive. As a young company, being able to use the revenue from your pre-order to pay for things as we build them helps us reduce risk and helps ensure that we deliver the best possible product and customer service to you.

I'm glad I chose not to have anything to do with this mess.  Remind me, is there an actual fracking product yet or are they just continuing to sell vaporware with a promise of delivery sometime next year?

^^^ This in spades! Luckily I have been too busy to get caught up in this.

All these updates and not a single reply regarding my refund. They must be too busy trying to find more buyers....

I am not privy to your request for a refund obviously, but if it was me, I would definitely ratchet up the language to them, as it really seems as if the train is going off the rails of sanity.  Get that money back ASAP.  Good luck.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

All these updates and not a single reply regarding my refund. They must be too busy trying to find more buyers....

Time to write to your credit card company why you are not paying that part of the bill.  Then they'll do a charge back and you'll be happy.  You did use a credit card to pay for this, right?

They finally replied with the boilerplate options email, even though I explicitly stated in my original email what my paypal address was and that I wished to receive a full refund.  :palm:

I did use a credit card pay via paypal, but doing a chargeback to paypal risks the paypal account. Only going to use that as a last resort.

Edited by Nebby

In the end I do think this company will pull off a product that is equal to or greater than the value of the backers money. I just can't stand how they are going about their campaign. Isn't the desktop product the same as the usb plug in product just in a bigger case with a much better power supply. 

At least it started that way I believe - same DAC chip and similar implementation with better power supply, additional inputs and higher phone output. Seems like there were tweak improvements soon afterwards (or likely always planned), but the campaign price jump from the Geek Out (USB plug-in product) wasn't substantial. Then the upgrades started and as the information is spread across the perk listings, the campaign announcements, the comment timeline, several Geek Force (Temple) threads across forums, Geek Voice voting polls, a Computer Audiophile thread or two and possibly others (then add a non-finished product) I'm not sure anyone knows what's in common between the Pulse and Out any longer or exactly what we're going to end up with. Then again this is a 'kickstarting' campaign. It's a risk.

Like JP I'm still hopeful overall. That's mostly because of Tyll's online, and several people at RMAF offline, comments on the Out. And well the cheap... at least beginning... prices. I jumped in at $249 hoping for an inexpensive DSD capable DAC. Once the balanced option was raised I considered the headphone out may be of use in my case. I have two orders in. One balanced base and one balanced maxed. One about $300 and one about $900. Will compare and possibly keep for different uses or sell one. Generally, I think they're giving their backers what they want. If this works out all the better (I never expected balanced option for example), but the backers are of a different breed no doubt. Features, features, features with sound quality rarely mentioned. 'Clock upgrade likely more significant than PS', etc. The 'Geek' name seems fit. Possible adapterphobia as a Pulse S may soon to arrive (mono/mono design but with RCA outs as people don't want to use XLR to RCA adapters). At this point at least most of my complaints are with their community, less HL itself. I did though call their news media referral program 'creepy' and didn't get the best response from one of their crew. He seemed to be having a bad night.

We'll see. Supposedly another upgrade hitting tonight.  :wacko: 

Please check out the PayPlan perks! We've had a lot of input telling us that many people don't feel like they can contribute this close to the holiday. We've come up with a way for folks to contribute to the campaign now and pay the majority later. We hope this will help your friends to be able to join the fun and get in on the Geek line at prices way below where they will be when we sell through the traditional retail channel.

They now have payment plans for those that can't afford it right now. :twitch: