AKG K812

Dusty Chalk

They look 701ish to me, which is to say comfy. And moar black.

Sensitivity of 110. OK fine. I wonder if it will take less than a bulldozer to drive them. AKG doesn't have the greatest track record for drive-ablity. (Thinking not so much of the K1K, which is supposed to be a pig to drive as the 701, which is nominally drive-able by almost any amp, but sounds like ass on the vast majority of them.)

812? srlsy?  Who numbers these things?

That said, the one picture certainly looks a bit K340ish, no?

17*5*4 = 340

and 

29*7*4 = 812

Seems obvious to me. 

And see I thought it was implying that it was a jump on the bandwagon moniker, Like "OK, I ate one too".

That said, the one picture certainly looks a bit K340ish, no?

That was my thought when I first saw the picture.

@AKG - more insane flagship headphone pricing.

They figure that it sounds 2/3 as good as an HD-800 so should cost 2/3 as much.

Edited by guzziguy

I thought I saw $1K somewhere.  Maybe it was 1K Euros.

Also, I was joking about the sound quality, having never heard them.  I'll be interested in hearing what you think, Tyll.

Edited by guzziguy

• 3 weeks later...

Just what I need, a reason to spend more money on headphones.  :P

It does look a little like a modern K340 size/comfort/style - wise.  I'd be interested in hearing what someone I know has to say about them.  The impressions written by 'Ra97oR' on head-if sound promising, but I know nothing of this reviewer besides the terrible screen name.

Looking forward to reading what Tyll has to say about them. moddedk340smiley.gif

Edited by philodox
  • Like 1

They're not a zingy as the T1, but they ring a bit. Kinda sounds like there's always a triangle (the instrument) in the treble info. Measurements show a pretty severe double peak on initial 300Hz leading edge.  Imaging and resolution aren't as good as the HD800, but I think I like the overall tonal character better. Very nice comfort and build quality. The included headphone stand is a nice touch, but the cable seems a bit cheezy for a $1500 headphone. 

• Like 1