AKG K812

Dusty Chalk

Maybe you've already seen this video of the guy opening the box of the 812 as if it were his new inflatable doll. Almost 11 minutes to unpack a pair of headphones :palm: I'm afraid there's going to be a tide of fanboys raving for the thing like flies going to the honey.

http://youtu.be/BwN6UDZIupQ

Antonio wasn't kidding about the inflatable doll part ;-)

Nope, he really seemed as though he wanted the headphones for something else than listening to the beautiful beautiful music.

They're pretty inefficient as I recall. Overall balance is better than the 701, but it's tizzier too.

Tizzier than the 701?  :kitty:  I think I'm not going to like that.

I don't find the 701 tizzy, just bright. 

Take a look at the 701 measurements here. Leading edge spike of the 300Hz square wave is distinct (though too high) and has relatively little subsequent ringing...there is a bit.

But then take a look at the K812 measurements here. Leading edge of the 300Hz square wave is all over the place as is the impulse response.

Ya know, AKG comes out with a brand new can that's ToTL...that's big news...how can I not.

OTOH, I hate writing bad reviews.

OTOH, maybe if I did they'd get their shit together and start trickling down the work that Sean Olive is doing faster.

OTOH, fuck...I got better things to review.

OTOH, WTF were they thinking?

Fuck...I sorta don't know what to do...

What do you guys think?

Ya know, AKG comes out with a brand new can that's ToTL...that's big news...how can I not.

OTOH, I hate writing bad reviews.

OTOH, maybe if I did they'd get their shit together and start trickling down the work that Sean Olive is doing faster.

OTOH, fuck...I got better things to review.

OTOH, WTF were they thinking?

Fuck...I sorta don't know what to do...

What do you guys think?

If they're bad, then consumers should know about it. Dropping $1500 on crappy headphones really would suck.

Tyll, you have a reputation which most long time headphone aficionados know of and respect. IMHO you have to honor it being honest and giving your opinion. You're not a sell out nor a shill, so probably the way to go is saying what you think. OTOH it's a well known fact that Stereophile, Innerfidelity editors try not to piss off large (or not that large but publicity space paying) brands with bad reviews, so they just don't write them. Maybe just acknowledging you've used the cans, you've measured them and that you are refusing to write the full review, is enough for those in the knowledge.

Edited by Torpedo
  • Like 1