AKG K812

Dusty Chalk

• 1 month later...

Maybe everything affects the sound. But whether it's an audible or significant difference is anyone's guess.

I understand the idea of a boutique power cable less than a boutique interconnect or headphone cable. After all, it's not conveying analog.

Regardless, just enjoy your birthday and use it in good health. Next time, you can say fulsomely "Oh, thank you! But I already have one."

I wonder why people never upgrade the transformers in the components instead of the cables.  They are a crucial part and all that.  Well I guess that would take some resemblance of brain activity to do so why bother with something like that...

Or use power conditioners at least, a cable by itself doesn't filter anything that's proven physics and science no matter how many EMI ferrite beads/thick gauge or litz twisted pairs you do, if the AC is severely dirty then there is no stopping it from going in your equipment, a conditioner or power plant would do the most benefit.

Or you can stock yourself a shit load of ESD paper and wrap everything with it - a Patrick82 recommendation to improve sound and reduce background noise....

::)

Edited by DefQon

Yeah, but Patrick82 never used quantum foam cryo'd pure linear grained 9OCC to negate the effects of dark matter.

That's the reason his rabbits continually attacked his "The Judge" power cables.

No conditioners actually work unless you are completely regenerating the AC.  Better stick with a good isolation transformer. 

Ahh the evils of background noise, well if the amp has any then it should be fixed and properly at that. 

Its ok, I've already had my cavity walls insulated with acoustically treated Albanian cat hairs - which is the best kind - don't be fooled by the alternative and fake "white wonder" material that claims to be made up from the dandruff from Tyll Hertsens, Jude Mansilla and Steve Guttenberg - everyone knows these three are under contract to supply all their dandruff to Sennheiser for use in their flagship HD800's - that's why these cans sound so analytical of course  ::)

I was talking about the electrical wiring.

I've got a little amp that was improved by a big fat power cable, completely contrary to expectations. I'm about 99% convinced it's because the bulk of the thing provides some vibration damping to the chassis. You never know.

That said, I've heard power cables matter and not matter. I figure if it's less than fifty bucks in materials and it looks the business, it's worth a shot. I just suppress my psychological need for a simple explanation that I would find rational and go with it. I'm not going to know the "how". (And I'm perfectly OK if the mechanism turns out to be psychological. Whatever works. )

I wonder why people never upgrade the transformers in the components instead of the cables.  They are a crucial part and all that.  Well I guess that would take some resemblance of brain activity to do so why bother with something like that...

I upgraded the transformers in my ZDT amp, and use a $30-40 Ironlung Jellyfish cable.

I upgraded the transformers in my ZDT amp, and use a $30-40 Ironlung Jellyfish cable.

I doubt you upgraded the power transformer.  The Keen Ocean transformers Craig uses are pretty nice once you force them to build it not "china style" i.e. I'm willing to pay more than next to nothing.