AKG K812

Dusty Chalk

So is there no noticeable difference to be heard with such cables, as I've read some arguing profusely that they do effect sound and also read some ridiculing the mere suggestion as here?

Either way, if asked by cable gifter how good cable is after using it, I'm going to have to say its amazing so as not to hurt their feelings. Maybe I will hear a improvement anyway - will find out shortly :unsure:  

The plan with your friend sounds reasonable. With regard to the more technical question, I guess it's a matter of whether you want the short(er) or the long answer. The short(er) answer is that I would estimate that the use of 'audiophile' cables that substantially depart from the design and construction of ordinary commercial-grade designs would generally correlate with reduced (rather than improved) performance if any change in system dynamics were observed at all. However, equipment destined for working primarily within audio-band frequencies, at least those with well-designed power supplies, should generally be able to handle less than ideal conditions with regard to the design of your power interconnect. So, you may be able to use the device pictured without degrading the performance of your equipment to a degree that would be noticed in ordinary use cases. As for the longer answer, I'm not sure I feel like writing it. However, probably the most germane aspect of that to note would be that the "weakest link" aphorism is apt to mislead intuition and mischaracterize the dynamics of systems, so I don't recommend it when thinking about how to improve the performance of one's audio equipment.

Edited by Filburt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man I wish I could audition between the K812's and HD800's. To me it appears to be a step back in time where it was the 650's and 701's duking it out. After and only after auditioning between the two; I muchly preferred the 701's. Is it really this all over again? So can I just skip the auditioning and just get the K812's, or are these HD800's really something special and in a league of their own....? 

Do the K812's have the traditional AKG house sound? Are the HD800's just a more refined 650? or is it more complex then that? 

I'm buying one or the other as soon as my confidence increases, so please help me out...

Man I wish I could audition between the K812's and HD800's. To me it appears to be a step back in time where it was the 650's and 701's duking it out. After and only after auditioning between the two; I muchly preferred the 701's. Is it really this all over again? So can I just skip the auditioning and just get the K812's, or are these HD800's really something special and in a league of their own....? 

Do the K812's have the traditional AKG house sound? Are the HD800's just a more refined 650? or is it more complex then that? 

I'm buying one or the other as soon as my confidence increases, so please help me out...

the HD800 sounds more like a K701 than HD650. A improved/fixed K701.

Haven't heard the K812 myself.

Edited by dcpoor

Well I took your guy's word for it and ordered the HD800's, should get them next week. Maybe I'll order the K812 as-well and do a comparison, if HD800's don't blow me away. 

To be honest though; besides the higher price of the AKG's they still have that stupid design where the cable is connected to one side of the headphone and travels to the other through the headband. It just takes away so much of what they could be and messes with the coherence, imaging, balance and tonality. Why they would boast some meaningless .9999 OFC then pass it through a steel head band blows my mind.

Thanks for your input. 

To be honest though; besides the higher price of the AKG's they still have that stupid design where the cable is connected to one side of the headphone and travels to the other through the headband. It just takes away so much of what they could be and messes with the coherence, imaging, balance and tonality. Why they would boast some meaningless .9999 OFC then pass it through a steel head band blows my mind.

(squints)  Can't tell if serious or...alright, I'll bite:

You do realize that it travels at the speed of electricity, right?  Or are you worried about the additional solder point (if there even is one)?  Or the psychology of the weight?

Well the HD800's didn't blow me away. In fact, put them on for the first time and said to myself "Damn I knew I should have got the AKG's!" They sound like a mix of HD650's 
and 701's, and unfortunately have some of the dark veiled laid back sound of the 650's. Not sure what's up with this whole talk about them being a microscope into the sound, 
they're no Westone customs. I was expecting something a little more dynamic and clear with some speed and kick, things that my 701's have over them. 
The sensitivity of these are way outa whack as well; add 5db and the level stays the same but the dynamics change. Now I know my amp is pretty shitty but didn't think it was 
this bad, that is to say the HD800's are as truthful as we say they are.

Now I will agree with dcpoor when he said they are "A improved/fixed K701" when it comes to technical aspects and low end. The L/R balance is perfect, The stage is wide and 
deep with perfect oval shape, images flow better with-in the stage, and they are more on the neutral side. The build quality and comfort is also great. There is just this cheep 
plasticy sound I can't get over. For example In Tylls room at rocky mountain audio feast he had the AH-D7000 (which I wasn't a fan of) but they had this rich clear sound to them 
which I did like that I was expecting with the HD800's. 

As I said if I wasn't blown away I will grab the K812 and compare, so next week I guess.

24n34o7.jpg
Looks and feels like steel to me. 
Also, the resonant frequency of an electrical medium effects the frequency response, amongst other things.

• 2 weeks later...