NAD VISO HP50

shellylh

Listening now at work, Yosi Horikawa - Vapor (thanks, Dusty, liking this a lot!).  Versus the Fidelio X1, it definitely has better highs; a little airier while still smooth and detailed.

The bass is pleasantly surprising.  The X1 has a fat and deep bass, but this is holding its opwn quite well; not as fat, but deep enough and actually quite tuneful.

The transparency is better than the X1 as well.  Perhaps significantly better.....TBD......  As expected, X1's sound more open, but these are no slouches for closed-phone soundstage.

X1 has it on comfort easily; but I think I can still wear these for hours.

Will use this the rest of the week and swap out the X1 now and then.  Barring longer-term comfort, I'm sure these will be my new work cans.

Does the HP50 respond well to sub bass boost from equalizer (I plan on using an amp)?

Is the hp50 as musical as the fidelio x1?

How does the instrument separation compare between the two?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Cable connectors for the NAD VISO HP-50 headphones

...reporting back, for the sake of Google and anybody might need to know someday.....

I got some plugs from eBay and they work:

post-1031-0-89078300-1405718090_thumb.jp

The 'shoulder' is .202" in diameter by .075" in length. 

I still have no idea if there is a standard, informal or otherwise, for the 'shoulder' dimensions.

They look bigger than they are. The Mogami 2893 mini-quad that I used looks like power mains cable on these things.  Trust me, without getting too graphic or sexual, I'm pretty sure that we all will at some point in our lives experience something that is more fun than soldering them up. There are no real facilities for strain relief. I connected the unused fourth conductor pretty tight, made sure the cable fit tightly in the hole in the body, and potted the thing full of glue. Speaking of the hole in the body -  for the Mogami, I had to drill it out to 3/16". The silver one's body was brass and the snazzy red one's was aluminum. Both drilled just fine.

Here is the eBay listing where I bought them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201075924663

Once again, connections are (3-pole to 4-pole) tip to tip, ring to the first ring, shaft to the second ring, and the shaft on the 4-pole isn't used. 

It turned out that in addition to being long enough to reach from my amp to my head, the Mogami cable sounded better than the stock one. (I wasn't trying to be all audiophile about this. I had chosen the Mogami on the basis of cheap and I had some in my parts box.) On my Fiio X-3/ Pico rig the HP-50s just weren't cutting it, musically, for some subtle reason. The Mogami cable made just enough difference to bring them back in the zone. So I made a four-foot cable as well.

Kinda makes me wonder how a cable similar to the 2893 but not wonky in the top octave might sound. 

Edited by CarlSeibert
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...