Your recent music purchases

deepak

Redbook CDs

Jewel - Lullaby (soundtrack) (pre-order for 5/5)

Melody Gardot - My One And Only Thrill (jazz) (new release for today 4/28 )

The Crystal Method - Divided By Night (electronica) (pre-order for 5/12, will also be available on vinyl!)

Trifonic - Emergence (electronica)

The Melody Gardot disc is really good stuff, I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who likes female-fronted jazz/blues.

eMusic Downloads (electronica)

Controlled Bleeding - The Poisoner

Mouse on Mars - Glam

radicalfashion - Odori

Taylor Deupree - Northern

Visions - Lapse

Definitely audition anything by them before you buy -- they are all over the place from full-on Japanese-style noise to Wax Trax style guitar/industrial crossover to some beautiful gothic stuff. Others of my favorites are:

Can You Smell the Rain Between?

Gilded Shadows

Golgotha

Songs from the Ashes

Songs from the Drain

Songs from the Vault -- I might have one of these confused.

Dub Songs from a Shallow Grave

Our Journey's End

Stuff like Bladder Bags and Interludes and Knees and Bones you can save for last. I haven't picked up Before the Quiet yet -- as a matter of fact, I just got my monthly allotment, perhaps I'll get it this iteration.

Amanda Palmer and Murder By Death - Limited Edition Split 7" Vinyl

amanda7_1.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I don't even have a vinyl rig setup so I'll be shipping this to Rain Man Records for ripping. But what's not to love about Amanda Palmer teamed up with Zeo Keating even if it's only for one song? And MBD covering Ms. Palmer doesn't exactly hurt my feelings either.

Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears

Opened for Robert Randolph Thursday. Great sound, one part James Brown, one part good ole fashioned rock n roll, and just a smudge of indie flair. I spoke with the guitarist for a while (he was happy to see me buying the vinyl) and he told me Jim Eno produced it, all analog from recording to pressing. Great sound, great music.

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Original Def Jam vinyl pressing, absolutely mint, played once by the original owner. I didn't actually buy this, some guy on a Phish board mailed it to me for free, didn't even charge for shipping. I told him he could get $50-60 for it on eBay but he sent it anyway. pretty awesome act of generosity.

Amanda Palmer and Murder By Death - Limited Edition Split 7" Vinyl

amanda7_1.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I don't even have a vinyl rig setup so I'll be shipping this to Rain Man Records for ripping. But what's not to love about Amanda Palmer teamed up with Zeo Keating even if it's only for one song? And MBD covering Ms. Palmer doesn't exactly hurt my feelings either.

Bring it on! Hi rez ripz is where itz at! ;D

is Together Through Life good? i bought it, but i haven't listened yet... might do that when i get home.

I'm just now listening to it. So far I like it. But then I like most things that Bob does.

Not really, kind of too sentimental for me.

Don't worry, you'll be old and sentimental someday yourself. :)

Got a bunch of stuff for my bday, and covered about as many genres as I could:

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

Cynic - Traced In Air (this fucking rocks!)

Jamie Lidell - Jim

Goodie Mob - Soul Food

Talvin Singh - OK

Steve Lacy - Anthem

Abdullah Ibrahim & Johnny Dyani - Echoes From Africa

Squarepusher - Music Is One Rotted Note

Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album

Rotary Connection - Songs/Hey Love

And the Radiohead box. Woohoo!

I'm just now listening to it. So far I like it. But then I like most things that Bob does.

Don't worry, you'll be old and sentimental someday yourself. :)

I consider myself a Dylan fanatic, but this album, IMO, became too mawkish. I thought Modern Times had a similarly nostalgic tone, but it wasn't mawkish.

I haven't bought music in a long time, but in anticipation of my bhse's homecoming, I picked up:

John Adam - American Elegies

Philip Glass - Of Beauty & Light Box Set

Osvaldo Golijov - The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac The Blind

Ray LaMontagne - Till the Sun Turns Black

Kronos Quartet - 25 Years: Retrospective

Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society - Kings of Damnation: Era 1998-2004

Fun.

Hi Rez selections from Linn Records, Reference Recordings HRx, HDTracks, and Blue Coast Records. Got some Kinks, jazz, and folk stuff.

Any strong recommendations? I'm interested in some good 24/96 stuff, but don't have the coin (Balancing Act payment this month + Canjam :/) or a strong enough familiarity with the common genres to flail around and figure it out myself :/