Your recent music purchases

deepak

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered: Amazon.com: West Coast Seattle Boy:The Jimi Hendrix Anthology (8LP Box): Jimi Hendirx: Music For the current price of $66 (free shipping), figured I couldn't go wrong (just a little over $8 per platter).

Looking forward to Springsteen's "The Promise" box set (Darkness on the Edge of Town story) and Dylan's "The Witmark Demos - 1962-1964 (Bootleg Vol 9) as well.

recently been on a minot HD Tracks bender

Paul McCartney Band on the Run 24/96, great sound this recording has never sounded better

John Coltrane A love Supreme 24/96, to me the definitive digital release of this recording, wide soundstage very open and dynamic. You'll immediately hear the difference between the CD and this version

John Coltrane Africa Brass 24/96 this is a first time buy for me on this release so nothing to compare it to but it does sound great

Mingus The Black Saint and the Sinner, 24/96 again a new one for me but this is a sonic wonder the different instruments combine with the recording to really take you out of your normal space

Tom Petty Damn the Torpedoes 24/96 better than the CD but not by miles but still a worthy purchase great sound and plenty of extras

recently been on a minot HD Tracks bender

Paul McCartney Band on the Run 24/96, great sound this recording has never sounded better

John Coltrane A love Supreme 24/96, to me the definitive digital release of this recording, wide soundstage very open and dynamic. You'll immediately hear the difference between the CD and this version

John Coltrane Africa Brass 24/96 this is a first time buy for me on this release so nothing to compare it to but it does sound great

Mingus The Black Saint and the Sinner, 24/96 again a new one for me but this is a sonic wonder the different instruments combine with the recording to really take you out of your normal space

Tom Petty Damn the Torpedoes 24/96 better than the CD but not by miles but still a worthy purchase great sound and plenty of extras

jp get the Impulse! 45 rpm of A Love Supreme. One of my favorite albums and it it sounds killer on 45 rpm, really one of my favorite reissues with the thick gatefold, not the usual crap from AP

• 2 weeks later...
jp get the Impulse! 45 rpm of A Love Supreme. One of my favorite albums and it it sounds killer on 45 rpm, really one of my favorite reissues with the thick gatefold, not the usual crap from AP

I've got a few od the impulse releases from AP and I agree they are great including ALS but I really do like the HD tracks 24/96 stuff as well. I have not directly compared the two though.

Ugh the All Things Must Pass vinyl kinda sucks and IMHO is not worth the $60 admission price. My copy is noisy and joy as good sounding as the hires release.

I've got a few od the impulse releases from AP and I agree they are great including ALS but I really do like the HD tracks 24/96 stuff as well. I have not directly compared the two though.

Ugh the All Things Must Pass vinyl kinda sucks and IMHO is not worth the $60 admission price. My copy is noisy and joy as good sounding as the hires release.

That sucks :( I have it preordered from amazon UK I guess I won't be disappointed if my order is canceled. I agree the high res sounds so good.

Went crazy after a visit to Dad in Atlanta. After a stop at Wax and Facts and Criminal Records:

Coltrane Blue Train Classic 45rpm clear vinyl

U2 wide awake in europe (# vinyl)

Elvis Costello Armed Forces UK first pressing

Chico Hamilton CH Special (6 eye mono)

Robin Ford the inside story LP

Dizzy Gilespie and Aurturo Sandoval live in Helsinki (Pablo LP )

Brubeck jazz impressions of Eurasia (6 eye mono $4 bucks!!)

Niels Pedersen the Viking (Pablo LP )

Dizzy Reece the manhattan project LP

Toots Thielemans with Joe Pass live LP

• 3 weeks later...

After a bunch of Christmas/birthday gift certificates...

A few Reference Recordings redbooks:

Igor Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite/Nightingale/Rite of Spring

Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man; Appalachian Spring Suite; Third Symphony

Eiji Oue

Sullivan, Sibelius: Shakespeare's Tempest

Michael Stern

Yerba Buena Bounce

The Hot Club of San Francisco

A couple RR SACDs:

Britten's Orchestra

Michael Stern

Tutti!: Orchestral Sampler

Going to place an order for some organ RR HRxs tonight.

And after hunting around for Living Stereo SACDs, went Redbook when I discovered on Amazon:

Living Stereo 60 CD Collection Box (Import)

You get in on RRs sale or order from HDtracks? If you already have how is Crown Imperial? Been considering.

I finally got an opportunity to listen to Crown Imperial. I enjoy organ music. HDCD is a good recording, and the music is more orchestral than organ. A nice listen.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WEALP98725

I know, I know, its the 2009 mixes, but for $75 I thought it would be cool to have different mixes of these early records. I listened to side A of Foxtrot a couple nights ago, and it was a fun listening experience. Some new clarity to certain instruments and sounds, but I think the bass impact, particularly the intense bass moments (think Can Utility and the Coastliners!) is less intense. This sounds like a flaky sonic description, but it felt more like I was analyzing the recording then emotionally participating in it. Fun, yes, but I wasn't rocking out and feeling spiritually connected to the songs.

I'll have to do more listening, but so far for a Genesis fan I think its a worthwhile purchase at its price, so long as you can accept remixes in general.