HP1000 amp

Spychedelic Whale

Agree with Nate. I'm using the ECP Audio DSHA -1 and am happy with that. I've heard the L2 is very nice, also, but I haven't heard it myself. I was in the same place, having gone through a bunch of amps. I finally heard the DSHA-1 , and it ended my search.

Not sure I'd go cheap with the DAC, though. I think you'd hear the difference with a good DAC. Haven't heard the Loki, maybe it's great?

Good luck!

I agree that Doug's products are great.  However, you may have to wait for a while to get one.  I am pretty sure that he is completely out of DSHA-1 and L-2 and doesn't plan to make another batch of them.  You'll have to wait for the next latest and greatest or try to find something used.  

I haven't heard the HP2 (and generally don't listen to Grado) but I also really like the TTVJ Peak (I have it with the Volcano).  Be sure to upgrade the tube though.   I haven't heard the Schiit stuff (except their Bifrost DAC) so I can't comment on that.  Ryan reviews the Peak here.  

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/apex-hi-fi-audio-peak-headphone-amp-and-volcano-power-supply

Edited by shellylh

Hey mexi.can, getting old. You forgot this  :palm: 

Thanks guys. Yes indeed doug just confirmed they are gone but I was thinking cheaper, I should have expected this though, this is headcase afterall  :P 

The torpedo DIY got my attention on doug website and its fairly cheap, would this be an good alternative option?

Edited by Spychedelic Whale

• 2 weeks later...

A local came up with a magni/modi at good price so I just snatched and gave it a try.

I'm really surprised, this small amp sounds great with the hp2(the >900€ burson soloist  sounded less dynamic aka worse),  but of course coming from the Nad M51 the modi sounds a bit plain, specially on drums can sound a bit washed.  

Nevertheless highly enjoyable, will try next with a picoDac.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale