Headphone recable advice

shellylh

For fun and experience (and because the KSC75 cable is too short), I would like to recable the KSC75 in my Frankenstein HD580/KSC75.  

I've seen Mogami and Canare minis recommended.

I was looking at Mogami W2799 and W2893 since people claim Mogami is more flexible than Canare.  Is one of these better than the other for flexibility?  Anything else I should consider. 

W2799 and W2893 seem almost identical but the W2893 appears to have a slightly thicker jacket (by 1.6mm/0.063") and a bit more shielding, so it looks like it'll be a touch thicker and heavier (relatively). 

I haven't tried the W2799 but I have used the W2893 and it's definitely more flexible than the Canare that I used.

Both are a bit of overkill for a KSC75, you could just look at one of the simple two conductor mogami cables for even more weight savings :)

Edited by Nebby

Shelly,

I'll check at home tonight.  I may have some of the exact wire that you're looking at and can send you some to play with.  One other option to consider if you buy jacketed cables like the two types that you are proposing is to strip the jacket and shield, a semi-cumbersome activity, and then sleve the wire with nylon multifilament.  I can help with that too since I have spools of the stuff left over from the Nugget Audio days.

Both are a bit of overkill for a KSC75, you could just look at one of the simple two conductor mogami cables for even more weight savings :)

These are housed in a HD580 so the weight won't be such a problem.  They won't be used as a portable or I would just stick with the stock cable. 

Thanks Nate!  Let me know how much I owe you if you find some. 

One other option to consider if you buy jacketed cables like the two types that you are proposing is to strip the jacket and shield, a semi-cumbersome activity, and then sleve the wire with nylon multifilament.  I can help with that too since I have spools of the stuff left over from the Nugget Audio days.

I assume this will make it more flexible and lighter? 

You could also just hack off the ends of a HD650 cable.   :)

I do have an extra HD580 cable... perhaps this would be easier than starting from scratch.  Would one be easier than the other? 

I have a headphone cable made of w2893 and it's not too heavy or cumbersome. Sometimes working with factory cables can be less than fun. They tend to do things like making Litz out of really really fine strands, leaving you with the challenge of getting the varnish off without melting the bejesus out of the insulation. My vote is grab the Mogami from Nate.

Thanks for the post.  Do you have a picture where the cables are attached to gold springs on the HD580.  For example, do the cables go straight down across in this picture?  

900x900px-LL-7d10302b_aa_DSC8524.jpeg

Also, I assume you can solder the wire to the little gold piece attached to the spring (I haven't done any test with the mm yet).  

I am assuming that it would be a PITA to chop off the cable already attached to the KSC75 and solder it to the HD580 driver pieces.  

Edited by shellylh

Used mini starquad to recable mine in the past.  The HD650 cable would probably be your best bet.  I don't know about the 580 cable but the 650 is enameled.  I used a solder pot to reterminate mine with a 4 pin xlr.  If you need help I can do it if you send me the cable.

Thanks for the post.  Do you have a picture where the cables are attached to gold springs on the HD580.  For example, do the cables go straight down across in this picture?  

900x900px-LL-7d10302b_aa_DSC8524.jpeg

Also, I assume you can solder the wire to the little gold piece attached to the spring (I haven't done any test with the mm yet).  

I am assuming that it would be a PITA to chop off the cable already attached to the KSC75 and solder it to the HD580 driver pieces.  

I thought about soldering to the big gold buttons (Rivets?) , but decided against it. 

I was afraid that the heat from soldering to such a big chunk of metal would cause it to melt out of the plastic and then the little pins would not line up. 

I dont remember if the wires go straight or cross.

I would *NOT* just cut the KSC75 cable and solder it to the SENN connector. The KSC75 cable is enameled wire and generally a PITA to work with. Much easier to cut a few bits of just about any stranded wire and use that. 

Nevermind, I think I can figure this out with a multimeter. 

Winning! 

This just seems so wrong....................

And yet you are intrigued. 

• Like 1