Dark Music

Dusty Chalk

So, I figured my first post should be in the music forum, since that is what interests me the most, and I was disappointed that there is only one thread. Oh well, perhaps once we get more people in here, that'll change.

So, what dark music (metal, goth, industrial, noise, experimental, etc.) have you been listening to lately?

I'm really enjoying the new Android Lust release, Devour, Rise, and Take Flight. Technically in the goth/industrial vein, but not really sticking with any one genre. This is more of a ensemble sounding release than The Dividing -- the drums, in particular, sound more live than usual. It also goes off on some seriously weird tangents (which, to my ears, is a good thing), yet without eschewing Shikhee's unique sound. Recommended for fans of Nine Inch Nails, Stabbing Westward, etc.

I've also been listening to Canvas Solaris lately -- instrumental metal, very hard, but occasionally progging out. Highly recommended if you want to try metal, but are turned off by the growling vocals.

PS: Yo, all.

i've been listening to some music i haven't listened to in a while like Cleen, Collide, OhGr, ...

Awesome! I spent a great deal of time in the late 90's listening to a lot of goth, industrial, and EBM. I was even in an EBM band (no-one you're likely to have heard of -- Black Chamber) as part of their live touring ensemble for a small bit.

We're definitely going to have to trade recommendations. The new Android Lust is definitely different than her previous effort (I don't have the first album yet), I'm not sure it's a blank recommendation even for you -- try to hear it first. One that I'd recommend a little bit more quickly is the new Rotersand, Welcome to Goodbye -- they make it sound so effortless, you forget you're listening to such an excellent example of the genre.

I also have been really digging into the Project Pitchfork lately. Especially the Nun trilogy.

i've heard really good things about Welcome to Goodbye, but i never bothered picking it up, since it came out solidly in my burnt out phase. i admit that i've never heard a Project Pitchfork past Dhyani. i'm not sure why, since i liked it, but there it is. did they change direction after Dhyani?

Yeah, they constantly changed direction. Got a little bit more epic and synthpoppy -- think Apop B meets Covenant with Ahnold-austrian vocals. Check out Inferno or Daimonion.

Welcome to Goodbye just came out last year, are you sure you're not thinking of their first/previous release, Truth is Fanatic (with the fantastic song "Merging Oceans")?

If these are all too synthy for you, let me know. I can handle the truth.

I'm really enjoying the new Android Lust release, Devour, Rise, and Take Flight

So I just downloaded this from iTunes and it was the tall glass of angst I've wanted lately. Good stuff indeed. I've been restless about music choices and this is the first disc in weeks that has convinced me to listen all the way through.

Thanks Dusty!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying the new Android Lust release, Devour, Rise, and Take Flight. Technically in the goth/industrial vein, but not really sticking with any one genre. This is more of a ensemble sounding release than The Dividing -- the drums, in particular, sound more live than usual. It also goes off on some seriously weird tangents (which, to my ears, is a good thing), yet without eschewing Shikhee's unique sound. Recommended for fans of Nine Inch Nails, Stabbing Westward, etc.

Wow, I just picked up Devour, Rise, and Take Flight after reading about it here, and I can't believe Android Lust had escaped my interest for so long. This album is fantastic! Shikhee is talented as hell, and very intriguing to listen to. It kind of reminds me of St. Eve, but with a lot more edge and complexity.

Thanks!

Glad you liked it -- wow, that's two for two, now, and it wasn't even that hearty a recommendation.

I'll have to check out St. Eve, never heard of them. Any particular album to start?

Did any of y'all know that RevCo had a new album out? And if so, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?!?!? Cocked and Loaded be its title.

Zombie is also about to release Educated Horses.

Glad you liked it -- wow, that's two for two, now, and it wasn't even that hearty a recommendation.

Hmmmm, female-fronted industrial/goth/experimental music? Doesn't take too much of a recommendation to get me to give it a shot! Devour, Rise and Take Flight also reminds me a bit of Artrosis' Fetish, which is fast becoming a favorite of mine. I just picked up The Dividing tonight and will be giving it a spin @ the office tomorrow... I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I'll have to check out St. Eve, never heard of them. Any particular album to start?

St. Eve isn't so much a them as a her. She did a cover of Tori Amos' "She's Your Cocaine" on Cleopatra Records Songs of a Godess - Tribute to Tori Amos record a few years back and I was intriged. Her demo, the aptly titled Demonstration, used to be availble on her site (http://www.sainteve.net/site/index.html) for free download, but I guess she's selling it now. Her follow-up, Elixer, is a decent effort, too. Demonstration would appear to be out of stock @ CD Baby, but Elixer is available.

Kidneythieves and Collide are two of my favourites.

I've had Kidneythieves' Zerospace for a while now and I just can't get into it. I love her voice, I love the overall sound they achieve, but I just can't seem to get into the songs. I don't know if it's the songwriting, or something else, but it just hasn't grabbed me.

Now playing: Gary Numan, Jagged -- highly recommended to fans of the genre, and of his more recent output (the chunky guitars-and-synths type sound that he's been up to for going on two decades now).

St. Eve isn't so much a them as a her. She did a cover of Tori Amos' "She's Your Cocaine" on Cleopatra Records Songs of a Godess - Tribute to Tori Amos record a few years back...

I have that. One of the best tributes I've ever heard, IIRC. I remember really liking the whole album -- lot of really strong tracks, and no out-and-out duds. I'll definitely wander on over to CDBaby. Dusty love CDBaby. (And I suspect the feeling is mutual.)
I've had Kidneythieves' Zerospace for a while now and I just can't get into it. I love her voice, I love the overall sound they achieve, but I just can't seem to get into the songs. I don't know if it's the songwriting, or something else, but it just hasn't grabbed me.
Dude. I am all about "resonance". There are some things I just can't explain, and then I just attribute it to resonance. For example, I really dislike most alt.country and slowcore. I just can't get into Low and Mojave 3, for some reason. They just don't resonate with me. However, I love The Devics -- they totally resonate with me. I love Kidneythieves, but it seems that what we have, here, is, "failure to resonate" (with you).

You should also check out Dark Muse. I only have Sounds from Beyond the Silver Wheel, but I really like it. Link with mp3's. Looks like it's going to be pretty hard to track down ("permanently out of stock" at CDBaby), but at least listen to the MP3's.

I have that. One of the best tributes I've ever heard, IIRC. I remember really liking the whole album -- lot of really strong tracks, and no out-and-out duds. I'll definitely wander on over to CDBaby. Dusty love CDBaby. (And I suspect the feeling is mutual.)

Yeah, that's definitely a great tribute album. It's a good sign when someone (Rei Toei, a bunch of Russian students at a technology school IIRC, who have since disappeared) does a cover of my favorite Tori song ("Sugar") and not only do I not hate it, but I love it... maybe even more than the original! That's a hard thing to pull off IMO. And there are a couple of other artists on there I never would've sought out, like Voltaire, but his take on "Caught A Lite Sneeze" was great.

CD Baby is a great resource. I remember finding it when I was looking for Michal's follow-up. The best thing is the looooooooooong samples, so you're not forced to judge based on an entirely random 30 second clip.

Dude. I am all about "resonance". There are some things I just can't explain, and then I just attribute it to resonance. For example, I really dislike most alt.country and slowcore. I just can't get into Low and Mojave 3, for some reason. They just don't resonate with me. However, I love The Devics -- they totally resonate with me. I love Kidneythieves, but it seems that what we have, here, is, "failure to resonate" (with you).

That's a pretty good way to describe it. I don't think I could've put it together. I can definitely apprecaite it, but can't get into it. I just find that lack of resonance frustrating at times, because I do like what their doing.

You should also check out Dark Muse. I only have Sounds from Beyond the Silver Wheel, but I really like it. [url=http://www.eyescreamjewelry.com/generic42.html]]. Looks like it's going to be pretty hard to track down ("permanently out of stock" at CDBaby), but at least listen to the MP3's.

I'll definitely give that a listen.

I definitely enjoyed The Dividing this morning. I went right through that and then to Devour, Rise and Take Flight and it was really cool to hear her progression. She's definitely gotten more bold in her choices in both songwriting and "instrumentation," if you can call it that.

I love alot of this kind of music. Not always dark though, i prefer to use the category progressive, or experimental since not all of it is evil or morbid sounding stuff..

I really like all the skinny puppy stuff (download, doubting thomas, cevin key solo stuff), cabaret voltaire, meat beat manifesto, KMFDM, front line assembly, autechere, front 242, NIN, Delerium, Coil, conjure one, amesthiesium (sp.?) , aphex twin, amon tobin, jazzanova, LTJ Bukem, Air, Zero 7, A reminiscent drive, chriz hinze (awesome chanting stuff)

its probablly inapropriate to discuss all the psychadelic/progressive rock I like lately so I'll leave that out. yet, if it weren't for guys like bowie and pink floyd alot of this stuff wouldn't have existed anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, dark, probably some of the following counts, but "dark" can be subjective. Following is a list of what I love :dance:.

Opeth - All but Damnation and Ghost Reveries, Meh

Edge of Sanity - Only have Crimson, Crimson II, and Purgatory Afterglow, but damn, they are amazing

Bloodbath - All three CDs are good, been enjoying Nightmares Made Flesh a lot more lately

Dark Tranquillity - Too many CDs to list, but all pretty good I think, though different

Dan Swano - Moontower: Great CD, not too dark in my mind though

Shape of Dispair - Angel of Distress:, Pretty good Cd, normally would be way too slow for my tastes, but its just so gcaptivating

Agalloch - Pale Folklore: Same as above, quite captivating

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day: Slowish, but captivating, dont care for the newer stuff so much

Death - Symbolic, The Sounds of Perseverance

Plenty more, just cant think now, I need sleep.