NY Spring Meet April 5 2014

bozebuttons

I had a varied mix of DSD, 24-bit, and 16-bit on my Sony player at the meet.  There was a complete mix of quality totally unrelated to format, in that some things "only" 16 bit sounded a heck of a lot better than something else 24/192 or DSD.  As we've discussed in other threads, it's more about the recording itself than the technology used to digitize.

To act/feel disappointed that something isn't hi-rez PCM or DSD is just kind of ignorant, especially without listening.

Having put significant funding towards redbook playback (spectral + ar-t legato), I've been noticing that a lot more of the music I've been scooping up is 24/96...some multi-disc albums are being re-released in BD format. Running them in foobar through the resampling seems to make everything sound like garbage as well.

Is there a meaningful amount of hi-res to warrant support these days? The internet would have you believe that the only stuff available in DSD is snooty classical albums.

Is there a meaningful amount of hi-res to warrant support these days? The internet would have you believe that the only stuff available in DSD is snooty classical albums.

i doubt it. the additional frequency range on downloads that are not just transcodes is probably garbage anyway. i cant hear above 22khz, my equipment probably doesn't want to reproduce those frequencies, and no one is listening loud enough or has the signal to noise ratio for more than 16-bits. it's possible the market could grow but i think for the most part it's going to stay limited to stuff you don't actually want to listen to. Maybe every once in a while some band will start touting their new 24/192 album and then it will actually be complete garbage...especially if they start trying to prove that they contain more information than a 16/44.1 disc. "hey, look at all this extra crap we left on here for you"

Edited by justin

Having put significant funding towards redbook playback (spectral + ar-t legato), I've been noticing that a lot more of the music I've been scooping up is 24/96...some multi-disc albums are being re-released in BD format. Running them in foobar through the resampling seems to make everything sound like garbage as well.

Something to note - 

When you downsample (high sample rate) to 1644, you *must* apply a ~20Khz brickwall filter or you will get aliasing problems. Inaudible ultrasonic crap turns into even worse audible crap when you have aliasing issues. 

I have no idea how Foobar does this, but it may be worth looking into. 

You may also like the results from setting the filter a bit lower than 20Khz, if you have the option.