Paul Walker, of Fast and Furious fame, dead at 40

HeadphoneAddict

AFAIK (I could be wrong)...

The problem is impending fuel and emissions regulations, and developing the tech that meets those regulations. The regulations themselves are largely unrealistic, and every manufacturer is terrified at the amount of money they'll lose trying to meet them. That's why BMW is betting it all on the i3/i8, and that's why a lot of high-end manufacturers are trying to make exciting hybrids - you need to sell the idea of high-performance hybrids to the public and get people to start buying these cars, and of course pure electrics, or the requirements will never be met. Never mind that the actual mileage estimates for a lot of these cars are bollocks, that's not what this is about. It's about being able to fudge your numbers just enough, and making cars that are a bit more impractical an easier sell to the public, and about building up high-end lustre for something that a lot of the market doesn't want.

There is one advantage to a performance hybrid - you don't need to worry about low-end torque. You can have an extremely oversquare high-revving engine optimized purely for high-end torque and make up for low-end deficiencies with the electric motor. This actually sounds a bit appealing, to be honest. Of course, the weight, cost, and complexity doesn't sound appealing at all.

As far as PW. This sucks. His acting was questionable, but it seems like he was generally a good guy. Bummer. And, they were in a Carrera GT, so let's dispel any illusions of "safe speed" right off the bat. They probably were going bonkers and lost control, and the Carrera GT is notorious as a car that's very twitchy and very hard to control even in professional hands. Also, given that it's a carbon fiber tub, you'd have to be going pretty bloody fast to get killed in it in the first place.

Edited by catscratch

I'm sick of all of the sensationalized reporting about this tragic event.  Let these men rest.  They've lost their lives in a horrific accident, but thankfully (more than likely) didn't suffer more than a few moments of fear.  Yes, he was a handsome man and a well known actor, but now he's dead.  Quit with all of the bullshit videos and what Vin Diesel thinks.  Let these young men rest.  Mourn their deaths respectfully.  What the fuck is wrong with all of these fools in the media and the millions of idiots they feed with this nonsense?

The problem is that the news have nothing more interesting to talk about for the time being. 

Also, unknow person dies in car crash: news, someone died, horrific accident. traffic backed up, take alternate routes.

Famous person dies in car crash: NEWS! famous person dead! what is going on with cars? Are cars safe for people? who is checking cars? why has no one questioned CARS!!!

tumblr_mn4p7ckqcg1sreq5lo1_500.gif

Edited by screaming oranges

More theories about the crash, unstable car + magnesium wheels. (And they question did he survive the crash just to burn to death)

http://freepatriot.org/2013/12/05/paul-walker-survive-crash-die-fire-matters-carrera-gt-owners/

Also, some crazies on other sites have suggested the government was responsible. If I find the link to that again I'll post it, but I pretty much blew it off and forgot where I saw that.