Fiio X3

CarlSeibert

An update -- I've been using mine more, and enjoying it more.  I'm now competing with another headphone audiophile at work, and he has an AK120, so we'll see which sounds better.  The UI is improving, and you can now have playlists.  i reorganized the way all my files are named, but it sounds good enough to justify it.

I was listening at work today, and caught myself just zoning out, enjoying music.  I don't usually do that.

• 2 years later...

Well I'm in the market for a bang/buck portable digital audio player.  It's mostly backup, since I found my pink Walkman, but every once in a while it runs out of juice before the day is done, so it'd be nice to get a second one to alternate with.  Should I just get a second Walkman, since I love mine so much?  Or should I get a Fiio X3 or X5?  Or other?  Or should I nothing, and just start carrying my charging cable around with me?

The problem with using my cell phone is noise -- whenever it does some background (or foreground, for that matter) task to get data over the network (either wi-fi or cellular), it generates this harsh digital shit that is borderline maddening.  I can't even keep it on the same side of my desk as the player when charging.

I have an outboard amp for the Z7 -- a Headamp Pico Power, which is more than sufficient.  Although if I do get the X5 Gen 3, I will definitely check out the onboard amp.  It's that good, huh?

Oh, fuck, I am such a dunderhead sometimes, I'll just use my iPod Touch.  Dagnabit, keep forgetting about that thing, out of sight, out of mind.

• Like 1

I think so?  I mean, that was the main reason I got it, and the headphones even came with the cables, but now that you mentioned the digital thing, I think I only fed it with an analog signal, so will try it again with one of the digital connections.  Gotta find the cables, though.  They're just mini-to-mini, aren't they?  Never mind, I can look.

You won't get a balanced drive from the PHA-3 unless u do a digital input because there is no phase splitter to convert SE to Balanced  signal.  Still You may find the PHA-3 a tad dark but it is very refined.  I think the Pico Power is a better match tonal wise with the stock Z7 but the PHA-3 should impress u as long as use balanced output.