So I am clearing up Grado inventory... then THIS happens...

screaming oranges

Is this a closed headphone?  I am not seeing any grills.  Aftermarket cups?  Based in the price, I am thinking SR60i drivers and aftermarket cups and permission to use the name for a price.  Nah, probably done in-house based on the finish.  It's all just kind of odd.

Oh and Justin, you have a hunch or heard something from the grapevine?

Edited by roadtonowhere08

just a hunch. Grado has not cashed in on the celebrity headphone bandwagon yet. this could be the way. financially maybe their best move. they haven't done anything innovative as far as sound quality in how many decades?  so they'll sell the 'celebrity' headphones of the hipsters.

They could try, but Irish Whiskey is an interesting start.  They would need to get a big music name to get attention in the headphone market I would think.

i'm not saying it will be intentional, the irish whiskey is an odd choice, i'd assume there was some kind of existing personal or business relationship that allowed that to happen. but, given how big headphones are now, it wouldn't surprise me if Grado starts getting a lot of requests and doesn't turn them down. like how you could get a Weber grill with all sorts of different logos on the lid, specifically alcohol makers

i'm not saying it will be intentional, the irish whiskey is an odd choice, i'd assume there was some kind of existing personal or business relationship that allowed that to happen. but, given how big headphones are now, it wouldn't surprise me if Grado starts getting a lot of requests and doesn't turn them down. like how you could get a Weber grill with all sorts of different logos on the lid, specifically alcohol makers

Yeah, that makes sense.

Though I normally love Grado's look, these things... wow.

just a hunch. Grado has not cashed in on the celebrity headphone bandwagon yet. this could be the way. financially maybe their best move. they haven't done anything innovative as far as sound quality in how many decades?  so they'll sell the 'celebrity' headphones of the hipsters.

They made that GS1000 with the Dolce & Gabbana name on it :palm:

IMO the question here is knowing if that closed thing sounds any good. Covering the grills of any Grado isn't good for the sound. New driver? Effective damping scheme?

I like the headband, the cups are awful.