Audeze LCD-X

HiWire

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that they are pretty excellent, may be the first Audez'e headphones that are actually comfortable to wear for a prolonged period. The house sound is still Audez'e through and through so they are rather dark-sounding but to their credits the treble is not as subdued as the LCD-2 or LCD-3. Micro-detailing is not as good as the LCD-3 though and they sound closer to LCD-2 revision 3 (the one with angled connectors) than the LCD-3. They are also the most open-sounding of all the bunch. 

So it looks like they're "more of the same". Why do you think they're more comfortable? Better pads or headband? Is it lighter? Better cup ventilation?

On a glance they look the same as the LCD-2 and LCD-3 (other than the metallic housing ofc) but the weight distribution seems to be greatly improved. I suspect the pads play a large factor as well because I'm pretty sure they are different than the ones on 2 or 3, very soft but don't compress as much as the 3.

Well, not bad. I can't wear the LCD-2 for long sessions, but for a couple of albums I stand them pretty well. It's not the pads what seem uncomfortable to me but the headband and the overall weight, so if the newer more comfy ones help, that should be good.

I haven't listened to the LCD-3 so no idea if those or these new LCD-X are the step forward I could appreciate.

And there's always listening whilst reclining on a pillow. Honestly, I do that. If I didn't, I think the HE-500s would have made my head fall off by now. Planars are heavy.

Agreed, definitely pillow phones, so long as you carefully flatten out the edges of the pillow near the cups such that they don't interfere with the intended presentation of the phones, and/or the seal.  I do it all the time with heavy phones.  Stax 4070 also comes to mind.

I don't so much have a problem with the weight of the He-500 as i do the with fact that it feels like it's crushing my skull. Perhaps it's a design choice to prevent your skull from resonating from brain rattling bass. The issue lies in the uneven pressure around the ears and the shitty pads. And yes my head is also big.. 

About the LCD series well, i read they were even less comfortable so i never bothered with them.

In my case it's the combination of weight, not sufficiently padded headband (mine have a leather one), heat inducing cups and earpads, and the pressure around the ears, probably for a too stiff band. None of them alone is uncomfortable, but all them makes me wanting another headphone after a couple of discs. Sound wise, when fed by a powerful enough amp, are much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Well, not bad. I can't wear the LCD-2 for long sessions, but for a couple of albums I stand them pretty well. It's not the pads what seem uncomfortable to me but the headband and the overall weight, so if the newer more comfy ones help, that should be good.

I haven't listened to the LCD-3 so no idea if those or these new LCD-X are the step forward I could appreciate.

It's really hard to say, I personally prefer the LCD-X over the LCD-3 but they pretty much play at the same level and definitely represent quite a tangible improvement over the LCD-2.

Oh, my bad. Both higher-end models are more comfortable, have better treble, layering and soundstage and just sound more refined overall. All of them still maintain that warmish Audez'e house sound although I would say that the LCD-3 is probably the most different sounding one with its very mellow and forward nature.

I would say that if you like the LCD-2 and seek a direct upgrade then the LCD-X may be the answer you're looking for but if you want to try something a tad different then the LCD-3 is worth a try.