bose acoustimass?

melomaniac

alright, don't shoot - I moved into a house this week that has an old bose acoustimass system in the living room. I cannot seem to get it to work. is it worth trying? cables distribute from the woofer through the walls to these little speakers mounted around the ceiling... I have no idea how that would sound when it works. anyone with experience or ideas, please let me know what your advice might be: use the cabling and replace all the speakers? fix the bose system? call bose and find someone who can get it to work? rip it all out?

Yeah, for home theater and free, why not?

Are the connections to the subwoofer on these things just passthroughs (for a home theater receiver/amp) or are these powered systems (line level signal in)? Being Bose I would think maybe the latter, but I don't know...

• 3 weeks later...

My first decent approach to what Hifi could be, about 35 years ago, was listening to a Bose 901 based system powered by Harman Kardon amps. That was pretty enlightening, good enough to get me engaged to this hobby. Of course I hadn't listened to any higher quality system before, so memory's tendency to embellish the recalls and the lack of perspective make for a beautiful wrong impression, but I still keep some respect for their older stuff. I haven't listened to a Bose system in years.

• Like 1