Guitar-Case

VPI

I decided not to necro-bump Bryan's 2009 thread as it was kind of specific and not in my budget. I played through high-school but have not played in 20 years. I am looking to get back into playing and I am looking for a great acoustic and a decent electric setup to start with.

I am thinking about looking into a full custom for the acoustic but it is pretty hard to figure out how they handle from websites.

A few decent shops around my parents place in Dallas that I intend to check out when I get back there this weekend. First on the list is http://www.theguitarsanctuary.com. Has a decent selection of factory and small shop guitars to try out.

I know there are several players here at HC. Anyone have any favorite acoustic makers that I should look in to?

If you want an acoustic with beautiful tone, good sustain/resonance, and high playability, you may wish to try a Martin from the 000 series like any of these four. I played the EC, it felt great and sounded wonderful.

My advice is that you go to a luthier shop and try a few ones. One needs to feel the guitar, see how soft or tough is playing it, and above all, how one likes its sound. The Ovations play just OK for me, but I really didn't like their tone unamplified.

Thanks for the advice. The number of options available for each model of guitars leads me to believe I really need to do some research. I have been looking for a new hobby to blow cash on. This might be a good choice. Might buy one of those Martin guitars as I think you have to have at least one Martin for the tone. Then I can see if I actually take the time to remember how to play. Anyone tried the rocksmith game with a guitar. Seems like a decent refresher course as I am going to need some serious work I think.

I have the Rocksmith game but have only played it once.  The thing I don't like about it (at least at the beginning is that it doesn't tell you what you are going to playing ahead of time which makes it a bit more like a video game).  I find watching you tube videos more helpful.  Perhaps there is a bit more to the game than I have seen.  I have a friend that is using it to learn to play guitar and loves it.  

I do love my (cheapo Korean made) PRS Custom 24 SE guitar.  I would love to have a on non-SE one.  

But yeah, you're just going to have to go to the store, try some guitars and see how they feel in your hand Jeff.  

Edited by shellylh

I really like the tons of you tube song tutorials that are out there as well as technique tutorials

Oddly I was always put off by Telecasters but recently picked up a cheap mexicaster and really like like so much that I am ditching my 50th anny Strat. Just need to roll in these Lindy Fralin pups and I'm all set.

I have a taste for good quality Japanese copies from the 70's and 80's.

Although they will likely need a bit of maintenance due to ageing, I think they're the best bang for the buck out there, if you're in the market for a traditional style (strat, tele, les paul, SG).

Look out for a good Tokai copy.

PRS has an annual event called PRS Experience around September.  My friend Dave (the Gunsmoke and Cheap Perfume guy) goes every year, he just forgot to tell me this year, even though he knew I was escalating my interest in all things electric stringed instruments.  We're definitely going next year, you should come also, and bring your checkbook.  They usually save their absolute best stock for that event, as do all the vendors.

Guitar Sanctuary just posted this pic of a couple used PRS they just got in. Digging the green one.

Funny enough I was reading about their customer appreciation party and a friend of mine from High School is playing the party. Would have been nice to make it to that one. Could have gotten him to help me pick some guitars.

post-644-0-23120000-1388107301_thumb.jpg

Edited by VPI

That is a DGT in Eriza Verde. Trying to get pricing info as I am not sure if it is a $4k guitar or a $20k guitar. Sometimes I see one that looks cheap and find it is expensive as Hell while the ones I think look great are cheap.