Guitar-Case

VPI

Going to head to the Sanctuary again this afternoon to try to narrow it down. Craigslist here in Dallas is full of great guitars I wish I could take back with me. Everything in DC Craigslist seems to be overpriced garbage and I have yet to find a guitar store up there similar to this one. Might end up shipping guitars home before I leave.

• Like 2

Any of you guys know the AXL brand of amps. The medway special model they have here is nice. Evidently they are owned by VHT but all I see are cheap guitars they make. They also have a little Chickenhead tweed amp that I like. The only VOX amp they have is a used solid state amp. I am buying a shop built guitar that the shop Dusty sent me to built. Strat body with Texas special pickups and some custom neck. Sounds good and has been pleck'd which is some giant machine they have here for setting up guitars. Seems good for use with rocksmith.

• Like 1

Ended up going with a lower end shop build that seems to be put together pretty well.  Chose this over the Reverend guitars and some refurb MIM Strats.  They have a giant machine called a PLEK that they setup each guitar with that is supposed to be something worthwhile.  Don't know what all it does but it is noisy and they charge $250 to set up you guitar in it unless you buy one from them.

i-gNZn7JB-X2.jpg

Locking tuners, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.

i-4Gk4fW4-X2.jpg

Picked this up on a whim as it has a a Celestion G12M Greenback speaker and EL84 tubes.  Sounded great in the store.

i-N7sV3Gg-X2.jpg

Jeff amps are tricky I have a fender delux custom build done by Dickie Betts amp tech that sounds like the voice of god but needs to be cranked to sound great. Too loud for the condo but not enough volume for jam situations. The mesa sounds good at home but fantastic in a jam situation very Santana like. You may want a champ repro for the bedroom and a bigger amp if you jam or gig. Not many amps do both well.

I'm telling you, the Rivera Clubster.  This is not coming from me, this is coming from an experienced, gigging guitarist.  But of course, it falls to the same criticism that grawk said about PRS guitars -- it introduces practically zero of its own character, so if you're looking for a quirky eccentric sound, look elsewhere.

I am still on the hunt for amps but this one seemed to be pretty good for $400.  The guy that built my guitar is going to give me lessons though I have to drive to Springfield to his studio instead of doing them in the store a couple miles from my house.  Evidently he records and videos the lessons so I can see them later and he can only do that in his studio.

I am going to check out Action Guitars this weekend which is about 4 miles from the house.  http://www.actionguitar.com/  Looks fairly limited in stock but might have some interesting amps I guess.

Edited by VPI

Picked up an acoustic to start lessons with.  Really like everything about it.  Martin OMC-160 GTE.  Not a rosewood body (Ovangkol) so a bit cheaper but I like the weight and the sound seemed pretty great.  I liked the idea of having the electric capabilities though I probably won't use it.

I even had a guitar player at the shop play me some music on it and several other Martin's and Taylor's and chose this one.

i-pSmrhmP-X2.jpg

i-CswbLNF-X2.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, working on it.

I found it very interesting how different different acoustic guitars sound from each other.  I guess the bracing and woods make a pretty big difference.

The Rocksmith game has been kind of annoying as it makes you retune the guitar constantly and its tuner is way off.  I have to tune my guitar wrong every song and then tune it properly again when I am done with my tuner.