Guitar-Case

VPI

great playing, but please, no more portrait videos!

LOL. Believe it or not, that was my first ever YouTube recorded and posted. In fact, the YouTube capture app warned me, "you sure you want to do portait? It is not going to look good," and I still ignored it. I am actually serious, the app warned me portrait would me it look like shit.

• Like 1

post-19-0-44856900-1421442210_thumb.jpgpost-19-0-01239000-1421442219_thumb.jpgpost-19-0-01805500-1421442228_thumb.jpgpost-19-0-48564000-1421442236_thumb.jpgpost-19-0-90943400-1421442245_thumb.jpgpost-19-0-27399700-1421442256_thumb.jpg

This uke is the real deal.  As a classically-trained instrumentalist (violin) and vocalist, the instrument is darn perfect.  The intonation literally is perfect all the way up the fretboard, and the tone is so darn consistent throughout the range.  Great dynamics too, it plays very soft without losing its tone, but you can really drive it home without it breaking up.  This is a tenor, curly myrtle back and sides, by Mya-Moe.

• Like 1

Sat in on my first gig on Saturday night.  While I only played keyboard on one song and guitar on two it was a lot of fun.  Actually used my JH-13s on stage, mostly to block out everyone else as I get too easily distracted when playing/counting.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to start trying to play the guitar "again." In the past, I just looked up some chords/tabs and/or watched a video of how to play a simple song on youtube. I've decided to go through the justinguitar.com. I'm just at lesson 115 15 but already there were a couple of techniques that I didn't know about. Hopefully this will improve my playing enough to help me keep up with it.

My fingers hurt.

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 3

Don't laugh - I'm starting all the way at the beginning and playing Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds.". It is a pretty easy to play (maybe too easy) but I am trying to work on my hand positioning (trying to the palm of my handle from cradling the neck) and strengthening my fingers. Did you buy any of the books. I'm thinking it my be convenient to get some of the somgbooks. So far I like his style of teaching.

One of my favorite songs.  Really a good song for learning one of the more common chord progressions in rock n' roll.

Strengthening the hand is a huge part, especially when you start on the barre chords.  

I have been meaning to buy some books but have not gotten around to it.  Would make it a lot easier to practice the songs as my memory is not what it used to be.

• 2 months later...

So my son comes home one day from school and says he played guitar and everyone thought he sounded good and he really liked playing. Seeing as this is the first time he has shown serious interest in playing music I started looking around at trying to find him a cheap starter guitar.

Step one was Guitar Center to see if he needed a 3/4, 7/8, or full size guitar, and there was a Yamaha F335 he liked. He then saw it in black and got that down and we knew that was the one for him, but we were just looking that day. While we were there, Zoë was helping us hold guitars while he handled them and others helped us out by playing so we could hear the tone potential. Well, turns out that she is interested in guitar now as well.

Fast forward a few weeks and after checking CL and the internet, the right deal was found, but it was sold before it could be picked up (the next day.)

Saturday, a friend who plays and knows some shops around town picked me up and we went on a search. A couple individuals and a couple shops later, we wind up back at Guitar Center, where I had been emailing someone the night before about some clearance inventory I found online. Turns out the guy who came up to help us was the guy behind the emails, so he already knew what we were looking at.

Turns out there were two black F335s in inventory, and we handpicked one of those.

post-16-14297906360981_thumb.jpg

Then, knowing Zoë was interested and I was interested as well, we looked at the deal we talked about over email. There was one on the wall that I didn't love compared to a step-below-but-more-expensive model. The guy checked the back and found one in the box. Tuned that up and started playing and the difference was noticeable. It easily eclipsed the more expensive model and the other example... So for Zoë and me, a Yamaha FG710S.

post-16-14297911502863_thumb.jpg

post-16-1429791172772_thumb.jpg

post-16-14297911863411_thumb.jpg

The pix don't do the wood justice, as it looks pretty nice for an entry level guitar.

Going to look at Justin Guitar mostly, but an old friend gives lessons as well, so going to get with him soon too.

Excited to get them playing something they picked.

**BRENT**

• Like 5