Guitar-Case

VPI

Yeah.

A couple of tricks -- put it (the output of the Pod Mini) through a Moogerfooger or some sort of similar analog drive pedal, compensates for the digititis a little bit.  Or a tube headphone amp. 

In the digital world, I happen to really like the artifacting that paulstretching puts on everything, I am trying to figure out a way to separate that out as a separate digital effect.

Unrelated -- one of my last two guitars that I ordered last year got shipped --yay! The fanned-fret Ormsby Violent Crumble HypeGTR 7-string.  (Yes, another purple guitar, my first fanned fret.)

There is a problem with the pink one however -- they can't find it.  They don't think it was shipped.  They have run across one or two mislabeled boxes, but as of now, they don't think it's in there.

So he called me -- yup, long distance from Australia and everything.  He offered me to either upgrade or paint something else pink, but it wouldn't be standard scale.  I kind of don't want two of the same guitar.

I told him I'd think about it -- I'm actually glad he sent the first one, because that means I can try a fanned fret before I decide.  I'm a little worried that because he had so few standard scales ordered, that he's trying to bait-and-switch me into a fanned fret and give my standard scale either to someone closer or less on the fence, or to a store to sell.  A little, not much, like 5% maybe.  Here is what I wrote them (his wife Shivvy/Siobhan does the email side):

Hi, spoke to Perry the other day.  I understand the...circumstances  (I don't want to call it a 'problem' because I don't consider it a problem -- we'll work something out, it's just a matter of what), but wouldn't mind a recap of choices once you all know what is available.

Part of the problem is that there are zero spare standard scale Tx or HypeGTRs, correct?  I'm probably fine with switching to a fanned fret of some variety.  (I'll let you know on Tuesday or Wednesday, when the violent crumble gets delivered -- my first fanned fret.)

Are you also out of spare Tx guitars or are you just not posting them to the website until you have final counts?  Because if you do, I'd love to switch to a Tx (7 ff).  I'm leaning mostly in this direction.  I'm hoping Perry is willing to raid the spares promised to the stores for me, since this is an anomalous circumstance.

But if you do end up having any extra Txs, allow me to put this thought out there -- Perry offered to paint a Hype to magenta -- would he want to paint a Tx magenta?  Just a thought, I'm not entirely sold on it -- if it's a yellow or an orange, I'm tempted to keep them that colour.  I prefer 7-string, but would be perfectly willing to switch to a 6-string.

Also, I haven't ruled out Perry's very generous offer of upgrading to an exotic.  When you have the final count of spares, please let me know which ones would be available.  

Cheers!

Any thoughts?  The double-cutouts are the HypeGTRs, and the singlecuts are the Tx (his tele-style, he also has an Sx, a strat style, which is very close to the Hype).

13458698_1059101197539499_8615224066519913497926_1059102284206057_3309073205552513497724_1059104874205798_5769616857485713495617_1059101054206180_3661181224400313482836_1059102637539355_33931208662801

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those look awesome! I really dig the yellow one for some reason. The bridge in particular looks very well made, with no pointy sections.

Never played fanned frets.  I think i'm unqualified.

In a cruel twist, I took delivery today of my mesa amp, but no connecting cable was sent. *cries*
But sweetwater is giving me a free mogami gold one since I did so much business recently.  Pretty awesome.

I really dig the different colors. Originally chose this combo since the blue 1x12 cabinet was out of stock.  

2mcpUi5.jpg

Edited by aardvark baguette
  • Like 5

No, seriously, I dig the yellow one, too.  I think if it came down to it, I'd have a hard time having the yellow one painted magenta -- I think I'd stick with the yellow.  Yes, I like it that much.  That said, he hasn't told me what my options are -- one more week.  I think if he offered me an exotic, I'd do something that might get me pummeled -- have it painted magenta, but not the top.  Ah, fantasies.

No, seriously, I am not qualified on fanned frets, neither, but I think I'm newb enough that I can learn, and I'm happy to do so -- I think I will say yes to fanned frets.

Unrelated, this guy is blowing me away:

It's a legitimate question -- I brought the guitar to class last week, and my teacher asked me, "What's the point of fanned frets?" and I couldn't really answer.  The one thought I had before I got it is:  I've been really grooving on the baritone lately, which, at 28", is just a tad over the lower end of the fanned fret at 27.7" -- so it's sort of a baritone on the bass side, and a regular guitar on the treble side.  So it's kind of the best of both worlds.

But he immediately helped me tune it so that I could play both the bass and the guitar parts of Starglue Sniffer on it, so ... he's still an awesome teacher.

But yeah, mostly the guys who are drawn to it are the ones that like to come up with lead licks and riffs -- the metal guys.  Even more so than on 7-strings, there isn't a whole lot of anyone else doing anything else on it (I don't intend to play metal on it, although I will learn some metal).

PS  The connector cable is called a speaker cable.  Mesa Boogie is good stuff, I hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1

I don't (play with a bassist).  But yeah, that's exactly why I went 7-string -- because I come from a piano background, and I want as much of a range as I can handle.  Eventually going to work my way up to 8 string (NS/Stick).

But also, there's this whole school of guitar playing called gypsy jazz, and yes, that's exactly what the 7th string is for -- it's for the bass back beat.  Here's my favourite 7-string jazz guitarist (I don't think this is gypsy jazz, though):

And finally -- the metal players.  So what happened was, they (starting with Black Sabbath) started down-tuning their guitars to sound heavier, and down-tuning some more, until they ran into issues with scale length, so finally just started playing baritones or playing 7 strings.

• Like 1

Nice playing. I think the point of my teacher is for the quality of the deep bass notes from a 7 or 8 strings guitar, more than for it not being useful. You cannot make it as large and long neck as required if you still want to keep the high notes tone good, so you have low notes, but not really good sounding. He plays mostly jazz so the metal point--which I find fitting a different category since they don't care that much for tone quality--isn't applying to him. To me it's hard enough playing a 6 string, so no way I'd learn with more strings ;D 

• Like 1

Yeah, I was recently given the advice -- in response to me complaining how slowly it was taking for me to pick up guitar -- to quit flitting around from instrument to instrument, 6 string, 7 string, baritone...a lot of guitarists have a favourite guitar and stick with them because that's what they're used to.  Just pick one and stick with it.  "I don't think I can do that.  How do I decide which one I like unless I try them?"  "Well then at least spend most of your time on one particular guitar, one particular scale length, one particular neck, and then spend 10% screwing around with other guitars."  I can do that.

Unrelated -- I wonder if Vox Amps are still no negative feedback?  I don't want to pay the exorbitant prices for a vintage one.

I had watched that documentary a few days ago, it's awesome. No idea about the newly made ones, perhaps Birgir or Kevin looking at the circuit could say how it's working. If they want to keep that unique tone they shouldn't be using NFB.

I haven't tried those many guitars in my life, but when you play one that feels good and seems easier to play than others, you immediately know it. That's a good keeper, which doesn't mean you can't try others. They aren't wives. I've always played concert and acoustic guitars, I've owned an electric one for the first time since November last year. It's the one I feel more comfortable playing, but I still remember how good and easy was the Martin 000-28 EC that I once played and never dared to buy. I don't think I'd be in the market for another guitar until I really feel I'd need another one for my knowledge and technique really benefiting from it. I feel far from that.

Edited by Torpedo

My guitar teacher today asked me if I like metal.  He was wondering why I wanted to learn 7-string.  I gave him the above run-down of metal -- how they downtuned and downtuned until finally they said fuck it and introduced the baritone and the 7-string; of Taylor Roberts and that whole backbeat school of playing where they have the 6 strings of a regular guitar and one bass string, and he thumps a bass note and then strum strum strum and diddle diddle diddle (yes, I made onomatopoeic noises for all those parts); and of me (who just wants a wider range, and otherwise not that far from the backbeat school).  He was going to go look up Taylor Roberts later, I hope he finds this video, because he does exactly everything I just described at 0:17:

• Like 1