Guitar-Case

VPI

I honestly think some of them are deaf, but some of them have fuzz and distortion tones to die for.  Ain't nuthin' shitty about it.  Cases in point, Leaves' Eyes and Gojira.  But even someone that everyone looks up to, like Iommi -- he can make a range-limited telephonic tone sound great in the right context.

• Like 1

Well, the amp works.  My playing kind of doesn't.  I need to work at sounding better with gain (too many acoustic-only years).
But I love the cleans on this amp. They have a more modern sound than the (wonderful) fender cleans that seem more colored.  
The EQ is fantastic.

Someday I am going to set up a stereo rig with maybe a super reverb or something.  The stereo rigs on That Pedal Show sound amazing.

I made some sloppy 10-20 second (balanced precariously) cellphone videos of the clean channel, some just toggling the pickup selector.

• Like 2

I follow PRS guitars pretty avidly, so I've already seen that.  I'd be afraid to play it or anything with such intricate inlay work, but I otherwise am very admiring of the wood choices and semi-hollowness of that guitar.

Have you seen the zombie one?  I think I may have found Jeff's guitar.  It's also ridiculously expensive, so he should be drawn to it inexhorably...

DSC_5369.jpg

http://briansguitars.com/product/paul-reed-smith-private-stock-custom-24-walking-zombie-1 

Oh, and you're playing's fine!  Much better'n mine...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pfff...it's still a Gibson...I don't even know what hide glue is, but I'm guessing this is where the old horse->glue factory jokes come from...

Unrelated -- have you been to Rocketeria?  Stumbled upon them while looking up G&L Guitar dealers -- I want a strat with a stop tail, and was informed that I could order any guitar that comes with the dual-fulcrum vibrato tail to be replaced with the saddle lock non-vibrato tail, so was looking up local stores...They don't show their stock online, so was wondering if it was worth the trip to check out what they have.  I have G&L dealers closer to me, so won't go there unless you tell me it's worth the trip.  

http://www.rocketeria.biz/

Aw, you bastard, if that's the one I'm thinking of with a maple neck, I just contacted the guy about a trade + $$$.  If it's selling for $4100, I saw it for $4000 on Facebook (I.E. if you buy directly from him), and it was on sale for $3900, so you can probably offer $3800 and see if he'll bite.  He might not, though -- looks like he only has one or two PRS in stock at a time.  Some of them negotiate, but it depends on the model -- no-one's negotiating on the Mark Holcomb SE, it's a steal at street price (US$900).

No worries, what I really want is a Custom 24-08.  Or a George Benson (Ibanez).  Or a Eastman 7-string archtop.  What I should get is nothing, sell the two I should sell (408 and 513), and get a private stock.  
EDIT:  Never mind, it's a different one.  This is the one I just communicated with the seller about.

EDIT #2:  Let me know if you change your mind on that one, I actually know that guy, so he might deal with me.  But you get first dibs.

Yup, and that's a really nice one, hadn't seen that one yet.  They also make the semi-hollows in the S2 and SE lines if you want to spend a little less or a lot less.
They also make something called a Hollowbody II, and I've been really hankering for this pink one, but he won't respond to my emails asking how low he'll go with a trade.

11419-2.jpg?1468397558

You should come to the thing at Chuck Levin's on the 11th -- they promise to bring out some really special guitars, and they usually deal.

It's free, but because it'll be packed they still want you to get tickets:  link

I took delivery of the gibson this morning and played it for a few minutes before coming into work.  I've got to get used to the neck lacquer, but otherwise it is great.
When I played electric guitar in high school it was all about palm muting.  After so many years on an acoustic, trying to go back to that has always felt extremely unnatural, until now.  The gibson bridge assembly puts my hand in a different area than the strat tremolos.  Very pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and my historic gibson has none of the chambering so it is on the heavier side.  I was anticipating a tank based on all the online complaints about gibson weight.
I don't get what the fuss is about.  It doesn't seem much heavier than my James Tyler. It is a chunkier neck, I can see that being a turn off.  But I like the neck girth, particularly on anything I plan to play fingerstyle.

• Like 1

Is it balanced, at least?  That's the important thing.  Also, it is my understanding that "chunkiness" contributes to a cleaner tone, so...I think I'd like to try a more solid guitar like that.

Yeah, that's why I want the Saddle Lock bridge even on my G&L Strat-a-like, and not a tremol-no.

Bridge - G&L Saddle Lock guitar

They (PRS, not G&L) even put something similar on the Holcomb SE:

tn_photo3.jpg

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Is it balanced, at least?  That's the important thing.  Also, it is my understanding that "chunkiness" contributes to a cleaner tone, so...I think I'd like to try a more solid guitar like that.

Yeah, that's why I want the Saddle Lock bridge even on my G&L Strat-a-like, and not a tremol-no.

They (PRS, not G&L) even put something similar on the Holcomb SE:

Seemed very balanced in tone.  Feel was great.  Believe it or not, I think it may have been set up better than the James Tyler.  I can strum harder without buzzing on the Gibson, which means the action is higher.  A lot of people hate high action, but I thought this wasn't so high to be harder to play.  It's very easy for me to play too hard with my thumb on the James Tyler, it is clearly set up for fast playing. So I kind of appreciate the slightly higher action on the Gibson. The G string is the only one I could really get to buzz, but only when playing unrealistically hard.  This is a Gibson custom standard historic 58, so it's probably set up better than whatever Gibson USA would make.  

In general I think the thicker the neck the better the tone, but perhaps a better way to put it is it is easier to coax better tone out of a thick neck, and getting a thin neck to sound good takes greater skill in assembly.  Tuning stability is usually better on thicker necks.  The James Tyler has outstanding stability, but I don't find it to be thick or thin, more like right down the middle.

I went for the 58 over the more popular 59 because in general the 59 should have a slightly slimmer neck.  The 59 is costlier because of the higher amount of wood figuring.  I don't really associate high figure with gibson, I only really ever noticed high figuring when PRS came along.

About the only thing I noticed is that the volume and tone knobs seemed to turn a bit before I noticed a change in tone or volume.

I only played it clean, but the pickups are outstanding.  The custom bucker is the best pickup they offer for PAF tone.

I think I'm going to gravitate towards the PRS hollowbody over the Custom 24 since I love the elevated bridge so much. Whenever I finally grab one.

Edited by aardvark baguette
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...