Guitar-Case

VPI

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what that style is.  The sigs were Adrian Belew and Vernon Reid.  A coworker of mine who also happens to play a Fly plays jazz.  I play weird instrumental covers of stuff.  That's about the entirety of my data set.  As  that same co-worker said, there are no bad Parker guitar players.  (Admittedly, he hadn't heard me play.  But I know what he means -- there's something about the guitar that makes me want to play better.)

Yeah, well, I know it looks high tech and technical and cold, but one of the reasons I love it so much is that it has a very organic, almost electro-acoustic sound to it, even when just using the straight humbucker pickups.  So I would argue that it "lends itself to a particular style of playing".  It's certainly a very "fast" neck, and would fit well with those types of players, but I think you'd be surprised at how old-timey guitar it can sound, so would fit with other styles as well.

The guitar is a rock instrument. Rock music is 100% nostalgia. There are certainly still good bands coming out, but the music they play and the structure of the groups playing it is derivative of what has come before. It would be recognizable as rock to anyone from about 1978 on in a way that Sgt. Pepper, or Never Mind the Bollocks would not have been recognizable as rock in 1958. So aside from the simple aesthetic argument that the lines and balance on a Strat, or a Telecaster, or a Les Paul are beautiful in a way the Fly simply isn't, if one is engaging in a nostalgic enterprise, it makes little sense to do so in a non-nostalgic way. That's why modern looking guitars don't catch on in a broad sense.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, VPI said:

Looks like Chris is passing so the school kids can be rock stars.

Ryan, I think I will be seeing you this weekend so I can bring them then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay! Thank you! Good to hear you will be able to make it out this weekend, it's been awhile since I've hung out so I'm looking forward to reconnecting with everyone.

• Like 2