New HiFiMAN headphones

Leonardo Drummond

Well to be fair, the most recent iteration that's been shipped sounds pretty freaking good.

But what are these new ones going to sound like? Sorry, but a venier finish for a $1000 headphone? Ah, no thanks. Then I wonder how many will have QC issues (just like pretty much all their stuff)?

But what are these new ones going to sound like? Sorry, but a venier finish for a $1000 headphone? Ah, no thanks. Then I wonder how many will have QC issues (just like pretty much all their stuff)?

This QC issue doesn't surprise me - first pair of HE-6's I received had no sound from the left earcup/driver, totally DOA.

The dealer made apology and asked if I wanted a new pair shipped or refund - I took the refund.

Chanced buying the HE-6 again after building up the courage and thankfully they were without issue, but pretty disappointing first time around and unexpected for top tier cans for sure.

All I can say is that I'm glad to have taken a second bite at the HE-6's as they are just unbelievably good.

The HIFIMAN HE-560's appear to be mimicking the wood style of the AUDEZE LCD-2/3's, whilst the AUDEZE LCD-X's appear to be mimicking the HIFIMAN HE-6's aluminium enclosures so perhaps each respective manufacturer is trying to take a bit of each other's market in the aesthetics dept?

I've read contrasting reviews for the HE-560, some saying they prefer them over the HE-6 and vice versa, so it's naturally individually subjective, but I do like the wood styling and reports of improved comfort and lighter weight all seem positive.

I meant with regard to the HE-560's departure from metal enclosures to wood, similar to the AUDEZE LCD2/3's.

But I think the HE-560's are a very good looking headphone with these new wood enclosures.

And I meant that their first orthodynamic headphone, the HE-5 was already wood.

pFSCFzm.jpg

These guys make Audez'e looks sane in comparison. 

You wouldn't say that if you had seen what I did during a recent factory tour and lesson in planar magnetic design from their engineering staff.

They're moving so fast internally that they've got to roll out their latest innovations as fast as they can just to keep track of them.

Watch Audeze, they're doing fucking interesting stuff.

• Like 2

You wouldn't say that if you had seen what I did during a recent factory tour and lesson in planar magnetic design from their engineering staff.

They're moving so fast internally that they've got to roll out their latest innovations as fast as they can just to keep track of them.

Watch Audeze, they're doing fucking interesting stuff.

Actually I'm a pretty big fan of Audez'e but I wish they are more forthcoming with their hardware revisions. I mean for instance did they ever officially confirm that the latest LCD-3 comes with a revised stator on top of the addition of Fazor elements? 

Actually i'm pretty pissed with Audeze I would never buy another of their products as they have built in obsolescence. This situation severely impacts their resale value on the secondhand market.

I'm not against change and innovation but you need a system where by people who have earlier revisions can easily upgrade them at reasonable cost, not a wholesale replace.

In the UK its just expected that any audio company worth its salt offers its customers this type of service. 

Edited by complin

I'm not referring to repair but upgrade to a current version.

Given the way they manage production if you buy one of their products you have no way of knowing exactly what it is, as its actual configuration is not stated on the product, so is it the original, rev1, rev2, rev2.5 rev 3, rev 2.7 veiled, rev 2.7 unveiled ad-nauseum. I have never ever seen any manufacturer operate in such a way.  

Can they repair older headphones?  If yes, then that's not obsolescence.

Edited by complin