New HiFiMAN headphones

Leonardo Drummond

Well name dropping was not cool in retrospect. I just thought being new headphones and being new on here myself giving a baseline might be a good idea. It was not a good idea and I apologize for my mistake. In the future I will say other flagships and leave it at that. Happy 4th to everybody. It's my bday. Commence getting hammered and blowing up stuff.

Well name dropping was not cool in retrospect. I just thought being new headphones and being new on here myself giving a baseline might be a good idea. It was not a good idea and I apologize for my mistake. In the future I will say other flagships and leave it at that. Happy 4th to everybody. It's my bday. Commence getting hammered and blowing up stuff.

Happy Birthday?

so you think this is a headphone forum

• 3 weeks later...

speaking of headphones... i spent a couple of hours with the he-1000. it was surprisingly light and comfortable for a planar magnetic and possibly the most comfortable headphone i've worn - evar! i'd describe it as having a balanced presentation. nothing really jumps out. it's not a headphone that wows you but it would be very easy to live with and well suited to long listening sessions because of its non-fatiguing presentation. i'd consider buying one if it cost the same as an hd800. now back to the ferret legging.

Unlike a lot of people, I was extremely wowed by the HE1000s. Iron Dreamer brought the full monte of Head-Amp stuff to Seattle today. I'd have to spend a lot of quiet time with HEKs and SR-009s to pick a favorite. They both seem to operate on a level beyond anything else I've heard. I felt Audeze caliber impact from the HEKs, which I wasn't expecting. Even out of my underpowered Lyra 2 headphone amp, they were huge and extremely articulate. Bass detail was without equal. Listening to one of my mixes, they picked apart separate bass and sub bass tracks better than I've heard from any headphones.

It was great to meet Peter in person too.

Finally, an ergonomic point: I read the HE1000s were set too large for all but the biggest heads. They must have adjusted, or the claims were exaggerated. I found them extremely comfortable on my skinny little head.

Edited by nnotis
  • Like 1

I need to send my Beta pair in and exchange for the retailed version.  The left connector at the left earcup has developed intermittent issue with sound going in and out.  Over all, I still like the HE1000 a great deal.  This headphone is completely sublime out of the SuSy Dynahi.  I actually prefer the Dynahi over the GS-X MKII for both the HE1000 & HD800. 

I need to send my Beta pair in and exchange for the retailed version.  The left connector at the left earcup has developed intermittent issue with sound going in and out.  Over all, I still like the HE1000 a great deal.  This headphone is completely sublime out of the SuSy Dynahi.  I actually prefer the Dynahi over the GS-X MKII for both the HE1000 & HD800. 

Are there any audible changes between the ones sent out a few months ago and retail sets?

So I had some time to compare the beta and production HE1000's on the GS-X MkII today. Both headphones have at least 150 hours of playback on them at this point.

I did not hear any major sonic differences that struck me as being repeatable within a margin of error. The only major difference is that the production headphone is a tick more efficient than the beta headphone, enough to need about one click less volume from the GS-X's stepped attenuator, on high gain.  Once the volume difference was controlled for, the two headphones sounded largely indistinguishable.

I also compared balanced versus single-ended drive, and found the difference to be relatively minor, but discernable, mostly as it pertained to soundstage depth and layering, as well as a better sense of resolution on very low-volume sections of music. The balanced drive certainly has a bit of extra finesse, and sounds more refined as a result, but it's certainly a last-few-percentage-points worth of sonic improvement, when compared to single-ended drive from an amp already so competent.  This is consistent with my experience of the HE1000 being a fairly well-behaved load that sounds good even from some lesser amplifiers, so long as the output impedance is low (coughPonocough). The HE1000 certainly doesn't seem quite as demanding of amplification as the HE6, K1000, or 300-ohm Sennheisers, but it is still no LCD-X, and will take a decently high voltage at a low output impedance to reach full-volume happiness.

It was hearing a direct comparison between the SR-009 and the HE1000 at the HeadAmp table in the SF meet up recently that made me order the HE1000 from HeadAmp. I was extremely impressed. Both had a different presentation but the HE1000 was my favorite. Thanks Iron_Dreamer for that enlightening experience.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We've got the HE400i on sale for $249 also (we sold out on Amazon).  http://www.headamp.com/order/hifiman-he400i-planar-magnetic-headphones/

To sweeten the deal, Head-Casers can use the coupon code headcase10 to take 10% off any headphones on our website, excluding STAX.

Edited by Iron_Dreamer
  • Like 2