Desktop DAC for around $500?

Nenso

Hello, need some suggestions for a DAC to use with PC. I realize there are a wide plethora of options listed in the forum, but would like some help narrowing the list down to budget.

Currently using the Pico DAC/amp for everything, but was wondering if there is a better option, specifically for desktop use with USB. I've been contemplating upgrading to powered speakers, and STAX, so it's probably time for a source upgrade as well. What options do I got?

Edited by Nenso

Having owned (and really liked) the Pico DAC I very much feel that there is only so far one can get with USB powered DACs. Try out Schiit's Bifrost with upgraded modules.

I'll throw some more ideas in - Resonessence Labs Concero and Stello DA-100 (if you can find either of these used).

Edited by RudeWolf

Having owned (and really liked) the Pico DAC I very much feel that there is only so far one can get with USB powered DACs. Try out Schiit's Bifrost with upgraded modules.

I'll throw some more ideas in - Resonessence Labs Concero and Stello DA-100 (if you can find either of these used).

Thanks for the suggestions. I am okay with DACs that don't use USB power, I was just mentioning it as a way of connectivity, what are some better options for connectors?

Grawk, Voltron, it's nice to see you too. (:

Edited by Nenso

XDA-1, really??

I was never a big believer in that sort of thing, but I had the XDA-1 for a few months and had the chance to compare it to the Abrahamsen V6.0 and Electrocompaniet ECD-1. I first heard it through USB and thought there was a huge gap between it and the other DACs. It sounded muffled, with a slightly overpowering bass and lack of definition in the mids during A-B comparisons. Then I switched to Toslink and coaxial (through a HiFace) and the gap shrunk considerable. It became much closer to the other DACs. Still not in the same league, but a lot closer nonetheless.

It was quite surprising since to me the difference was far from subtle, and I'm quite skeptical when it comes to that sort of thing. I couldn't hear a difference between the V6.0 and ECD-1 for example, and thought that the difference between these and the original DacMagic wasn't incredibly big.

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

Did you rule out the source USB output? How many XDA-1s did you listen too to come to the conclusion that it is an XDA-1 problem and not a problem with your XDA-1? How did you rule out a cable issue? I'm sure your post would have been lauded on Head-Fi but you simply do not walk into Head-Case with that kind of shit.

Edited by morphsci

Well, the USB sources were the same that I used for the other DACs, a MacMini and a MacBook Pro. I ruled out a cable issue because I tried two, an Acoustic Zen MC2 and also a BlueJeans one.

I figured it wasn't a problem with my particular XDA-1 because it worked flawlessly with all the other inputs and the USB was working, just not up to par with the other inputs in terms of sonic performance. And I've read quite a few reports of DACs with poor USB implementation – never really believed that it would be particularly noticeable, until I heard what sounded like it with the XDA-1s.

In any case, I was just sharing my experience with it.

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

I like the looks (and value) of the uber analog Schiit Bifrost as well. If I ever decide to play my schiity audio files on my stereo or a headphone amplifier (stack of schiit), that would be the way to go. I hope they incorporate the Loki circuitry into the Bifrost and Gungnir if DSD demand becomes sustainable.

Edited by HiWire

Schiit Bifrost

This. I got mine a couple of days ago and it is replacing an XDA-1. The Bifrost is by far better to my ears. And it always bugged me that the XDA-1 could not do hi-res via USB. I went with USB and Uber Analog on the Schiit and so far I love it. Audirvana with hi-res out to the Bifrost sounds very, very good.

• Like 1