Quick simple tweak for any system.

Matt_Carter

Being an electrician I came across these spec grade receptacles that they were just going to throw out.

P1000106.jpg

Knowing that they were not cheap and could possible make a difference to my system; I snatched them up.  Skeptical... but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try them out. Well I have to say it was worth the 30 seconds to swap this guy in. Tightening as much as I could, utilizing the bottom half of the receptacle bypassing the tab I heard an improvement right away, not huge but defiantly there. My system seemed to have allot more oomph, Bass is heavier and more pronounced. The whole sound had more weight to it sounding like more power was getting through. These receptacles are about 3x the weight of the standard, why... not sure, haven't dissected.. sign of higher quality components maybe?

Like I said: not a huge improvement but worth the $20-$30.

You should give her a try, model number is IG5362

P1000101.jpg

Sigh, what did I do now...  :-

Read your OP and slap yourself until you understand that you appear insane.  If that epiphany does not arrive before you black out, leave and never come back.

Oh, and 20 amp pro grade receptacles are generally heavier than the contractor grade 15 amp receptacles that are standard in houses.  Ergo, more metal, and 20 amp rated placebo.

Finally, if "they" were going to throw the receptacles out, why the hell did you pay for them?

My head hurts.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

You know allot of people say how could this possibly make a difference but I look at it as how could this not make a difference. If something has a design drastically difference from another you should be able to hear it, if of course you have an open mind to it. I too looked at this with a closed mind and definitively  heard a difference. Simple, spend the $20 then tell me I'm wrong.

You know allot of people say how could this possibly make a difference but I look at it as how could this not make a difference. If something has a design drastically difference from another you should be able to hear it, if of course you have an open mind to it. I too looked at this with a closed mind and definitively  heard a difference. Simple, spend the $20 then tell me I'm wrong.

How in the fuck can you be an electrician when you say such nonsense?  You are wrong, and I do not need to spend shit.  I understand simple principles of electricity that were apparently not in your training.

I also believe it is technically illegal to put 20A receptacles on a 15A circuit... if that is what you did.

It'll be the new trend, just you wait.

Finally, if "they" were going to throw the receptacles out, why the hell did you pay for them?

I didn't say I paid for them.

I also believe it is technically illegal to put 20A receptacles on a 15A circuit... if that is what you did.

Arrest me now.

Not sure why you're giving me such a hard time, just something I thought I would share...

hospital outlets grab more firmly, there's a chance it works better.  

As to why you're getting shit, you obviously didn't read your welcome pm.

I just cannot see a decrease in resistance by a slight increase in grip.  By the way, the "professional" grade Leviton outlets at Home Depot grip like bastards, so it's not just hospital grade outlets.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Being an eater of cake I came across this delicious cake that they were just going to throw out.

delicious-cake_00424078.jpg

Knowing that they were not cheap and could possible make a difference to my system; I snatched them up.  Skeptical... but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try them out. Well I have to say it was worth the 30 seconds to shove this cake in my mouth. Widening my lips as much as I could, utilizing the bottom half of my jaw bypassing the chewing I heard an improvement right away, not huge but defiantly there. My system seemed to have allot more oomph, Bass is heavier and more pronounced. The whole sound had more weight to it sounding like more tasty cake was getting through. These cakes are about 3x the weight of the standard, why... not sure, haven't dissected.. sign of higher quality icing maybe?

Like I said: not a huge improvement but worth the $20-$30.

You should give her a try, available at your local bakery

Food_Cakes_and_Sweet_Delicious_cake_0186

• Haha 1

increase in grip helps if there's a loose connection and it has an intermittent short.  I wasn't saying anything about resistance.  Just mechanical contact.

Naamanf said what I wanted to, so I don't want to pile on, but he never mentioned anything like that, so I figured your stance was normal fit vs. tight fit, hence my reply.

Anyway, I REALLY hate that "try it and you'll see for yourself" shit.  Reminds me of Shill-Fi.  My BS meter was alerted with the IC sale and the word "neutral" in describing one of them.

These might make a difference.

I remember looking at them awhile back and saw someone testing these using a AC line noise sniffer thingy. They did find that the AC line noise is reduced through these. I've always wanted to try the filtered AC outlet.. but the price is just way too high to justify any possible improvement...

EDIT: here is the video...

Edited by jwzhan

Still seems like a waste and a bunch of marketing BS, unless the power supply of the equipment plugged into the outlet sucks so bad it isn't filtering any noise/ripple/gremlins on the AC. In that case quit buying shit made by ALO. 

Edited by naamanf

^ Bingo. That is also why I think people who make statements about a power cable, et. al. making a "world" of difference might notice more difference from a piece of equipment with a proper power supply and run thru a bog standard AC cord. A tight grip on the plug blades should only be a good thing, though not sure you would hear anything unless you are trying too hard.

As for outlets, the ones that used to be considered good for readily available (i.e., home improvement store or hardware store) were the Pass and Seymour 5262s. Of course that was before the Oyaides and whatever nonsense came on the market.

There's always the bargains here as well...

Edited by Pars